Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another cracked windshield thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who did you choose to do the work/supply the glass?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yabo
Who did you choose to do the work/supply the glass?
Local guy - actually the guy who did schwank's glass close to 3 years ago. Recommended by the local Porsche/VW/Audi/Mercedes tuner guys.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

New windshield is in! Guy came out at 7 and met me here at the office, got to work. Hour and a half later, new glass is in. Looks great. Perfect fit. He's frustrated that he used a bit too much glue, so next Friday he'll come out to trim the bead back. Great guy, great service, local here in the Portland Metro...and insurance works with him.

For the archives, I was quoted $459 installed. Skeurit glass (I'll get the full name, it's something-something Skeurit; they have been sold as mentioned previously). I paid my comprehensive deductible and that was it!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:06 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the trim look compared to the factory? Was this glass specific for the airbags?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Trim looks great. Will take some photos of it once I am home. My only nitpicky thing is that where the trim curves at the top corner of the windshield on the driver's side is that there's a bit too much windshield glue so it sticks up a bit. Will point that out to him next Friday when he trims the beads on the inside. Glass is not "airbag specific" as far as I know. My airbags are disabled (968CS wheel), so that's a moot point for me.

The exact brand name is Saint-Gobain Sekurit. Don't know if it helps at all, but the windshield number appears to be FW603ggy. Not sure if that's his internal designation, a national thing, or what.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:48 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info! The worlds tiniest rock chip turned into a foot long crack over the winter...
Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

My cracked windshield is also a Sekurit Siant Gobain. I want the same again... From my quotes you got a very good price.

Can you (or anyone else) check your windshield invoice for me? I'm curious if it has the FW-505 or FW-603 on it?? All the places I've got quotes said "FW-505 or FW-603?" to their managers when trying to figure out which windshield I need. I get the impression the 603 is Chinese...

NONE of the places I've got quotes from can tell me what brand of glass I'm going to get...

Anybody have a late car w/o airbags WITH the original glass? I'm curious if Sekurit Saint-Gobain is the true factory glass?

EDIT: Just called Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR and the factory windshield (w/ antenna, w/o airbags, w/ tinting) is $373+ $80 shipping. Makes no sense that I'm being quoted $570ish for glass... I'm still interested in the 505/603...and in the Saint-Gobain original question.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschefig
My cracked windshield is also a Sekurit Siant Gobain. I want the same again... From my quotes you got a very good price.

Can you (or anyone else) check your windshield invoice for me? I'm curious if it has the FW-505 or FW-603 on it?? All the places I've got quotes said "FW-505 or FW-603?" to their managers when trying to figure out which windshield I need. I get the impression the 603 is Chinese...

NONE of the places I've got quotes from can tell me what brand of glass I'm going to get...

Anybody have a late car w/o airbags WITH the original glass? I'm curious if Sekurit Saint-Gobain is the true factory glass?

EDIT: Just called Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR and the factory windshield (w/ antenna, w/o airbags, w/ tinting) is $373+ $80 shipping. Makes no sense that I'm being quoted $570ish for glass... I'm still interested in the 505/603...and in the Saint-Gobain original question.
That's an AWESOME price from Sunset. They're not that far away from me here in Oregon, but residents in OR/WA tend not to get their awesome prices . FW-603 is what I put in an earlier post, that's what is on my invoice. I wonder if -503 is early glass. Skeurit is factory glass, based on several posts I've read and my conversation with the installer, they've been bought and sold a few times.

Wondering, did Sunset tell you if there was an airbag glass as well?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, I didn't ask about other glass but they didn't say anything about limited availability for my car so I assume the dealerships can still get our glass pretty easy.

I have no idea what the early numbers are. I think 505 and 603 are both late glass but I don't know the difference. From quotes around here the 603 is the cheaper glass so it doesn't make sense to me that your Sekurit was 603 (but this is really my first day of learning Porsche glass....).
All the other glass in my car is Sekurit so I know it's the supplier but I'm wondering if they sell different, um, "grades" or "models" of glass for our cars?

I wonder why they change the prices based on your location? If there's a significant price differential from them maybe I need to order some things before I move out to WA!!..
Old 05-06-2009, 04:26 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Just an update and info for the archives. I'm getting a Sekurit windshield installed next week. I had to ask but then they asked the supplier what brand it would be.
EDIT: The Sekurit glass I'm getting is also FW-603. I had been told the other way around yesterday. FW-505 is apparently NLA and FW-603 is the "interchange". FW-603 is also used for airbag cars according to the database at the business doing work for me.

Quick Reply: Another cracked windshield thread