Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very upset and frustrated (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003 | 10:42 PM
RobbyK
Pro

From: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA
Post Very upset and frustrated (long)

Ok where to start, well when I bought the car the headlights had this problem where the plastic that held the electric clip wore out so it would not hold. They would go up but not go down unless I opened the hood and pushed on the clip. Well lately the relay was going too so I decided to change the whole motor before it went completely. Well from all I was told the motor did not change ,Well, they were wrong. Some time in its life the moved the electrics from the top of the motor to the back. And on the 86 used motor I got they were in the back. Well I was upset to say the least, until I pulled the rubber boot off and saw they were the same they just moved the plate with the connectors from the front to the back . So all I had to do was move the plate from the back to the front and move the ground ,BOY WAY I WRONG, I hooked the motor up and put the relay back in and it seemed to be fine because it reset it self. Well when I turned the car on and hit the headlight switch the connector started smoking and all the cars lights went dim. Well I turned the car off frantic and looked at it I did nothing different except not put the boot on to make sure it works because that boot is a pain in the *** to put on, and the motor started f**cking smoking. Did they change the amperage of the motor over the years because I don’t know what I did wrong.(was it because I moved the ground mabe?) This makes me feel very upset because I worked on the car so much and I cant put anymore big bucks into it and I love it to much to get rid of it, any thoughts on this would be a real help or what I did wrong ,or where I can get an early ( WITH THE CONERTORS FACEING THE FRONT )used motor cheap would be great thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2003 | 02:00 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

Rob

Still have the old motor? It sounds like the problem was the relay and not the motor. It's a pretty robust motor for what it's doing. I just replaced the relay today and it works a charm. The clip may have been a problem, but try tapping the relay and see if that fixes it.

A host of things could have burned up the other motor. Reverse coil could cause it to try and force the lights down when they were already down, burn up the motor. Or the ground could have caused a float.

I don't think bad (reversed) wiring could have caused it.

I think if it smoked it was just trying to force something. Played with loads of electric motors, never had wierd wiring cause one to burn.
Old 07-04-2003 | 02:18 AM
RobbyK
Pro

From: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA
How should I re-set the headlights not to blow the old motor ?
Old 07-04-2003 | 02:32 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

Not sure sorry. But you shouldn't have a problem. I think the newer one probably spins in the opposite direction. To check hook it up with no power and thin spin it manually. That should show if it's binding or not.

Quick Reply: Very upset and frustrated (long)