Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early LSD info and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Early LSD info and questions

Recently second gear started grinding really bad in my 85.5 and I was getting crazy drivetrain backlash, and terrible vibrations. So i assumed that the rubber center of my clutch had finally bit the dust. I am building my car up to handle a LSx swap i have planned for later this year so i didnt want to spring for a new clutch, and i was lucky enough to score a good used one, (still need to send Tom R. $$$ to cover shippin Thanks again Tom...) So i yanked the trans out of my early 85 parts car. When i was pulling it out I realized its a factory LSD I only paid $300 for the running driving car... So thats the back story heres my questions and info i found...

Facts.... I have a late car, and was swapping in an early transmission, in my case the early trans had the plug for the speed sensor, but didnt have the drive gear inside the trans, I was able to remove the drivers side output shaft and seal and remove the gear from my old trans and install it into my new (early) trans. I looked all over Rennlist trying to find the information on what i had to swap, but it was really straight forward.

Questions:

Factory LSD... I priced the clutches, all 4, cup spring, washers etc basically all wear items in the diff, and was suprised to find that there were different thickness clutches available, does anyone know if you can set it tighter than factory? I havent pulled out the FSM yet, and i know its going to tell me how to set it up, but i wanted to know if i could set it any tighter than factory? If so what benifit would this have?

LSD DIff... Does the N/A and turbo trans use the same LSD diff??? As in, when i go LSx can i swap my LSD diff into the turbo housing???

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different Part Numbers on the Differentials. Doesn't mean it won't work, someone else will have to answer that one.

94433205300 = Early
95133205305 = Late
95133205305 = Turbo S
Old 04-17-2009, 02:21 AM
R.J.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I read this right some early trans's can be converted to run the electronic speedo easily? Would this be the case on my '87 924S transmission? It does have a removable blanking plate where the speedo sensor should be.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R.J.
So if I read this right some early trans's can be converted to run the electronic speedo easily? Would this be the case on my '87 924S transmission? It does have a removable blanking plate where the speedo sensor should be.

Yes. You should be able to put the impulse sensor Into it's spot. You need to look into the hole and verify that the drive gear is present. It wasn't in my trans. I had to remove the drivers side drive flange and seal to install the drive gear. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Early LSD info and questions