Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing/Ball Joints Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 02:34 PM
Mike 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Wheel bearing/Ball Joints Question

Not sure on the terminology, but what is the diff between the wheel bearings and ball joints?

My front wheels are acting funny and I want to replace these (depending on which is which). Also, I was told there are inner and outer ball joints? Can someone clarify all this for me, and if possible let me know if there is a website that explains how to change these types of things?

Sorry for the stupid question...I am trying to solve my popping noise coming from the front tire. Also, I was told my E30 needs new wheel bearings...so I want to know the differences between the terms since I'm starting to feel they are the same thing.
Thanks
Mike
Old 07-02-2002, 04:37 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are three ball-joints per side in the front suspension of the 944. The primary ball-joint is the attaching point from the control arm (A-arm) to the steering knuckle (spindle). This is the highest wear ball-joint, and can certainly be responsible for your problems. There are also two ball-joints on each side of the steering rack - the outer tie-rod ball-joint being the higher failure unit - and easier and cheaper to replace. The inner tie-rod ball-joint is concealed by the rack boot.

Wheel bearings are completely different, but can cause some of the same drivability problems, and even be diagnosed nearly the same. The wheel bearings ride inside the wheel hub and on the axles, both front and rear.

The general check for all of these is a wiggle test and visual inspection. In many cases of apparent front wheel bearing problems, the hub can be cleaned, repacked, and reinstalled.

Tell us more of your situation and indications - but definitely go out and shake the wheels vigorously to check for play.

Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2002, 06:08 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

Skip has it covered, as usual -

The only thing I'd be tempted to add is to suggest you pick up a Haynes repair manual and take a look through the various procedures and photos. Some auto parts stores carry the Haynes, and I'm sure they're available from Amazon, etc. Pretty cheap, and a good way to become familiar with some of the parts and pieces of these cars.

Matt
Old 07-04-2002, 05:48 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest you find a good alignment shop. They shoud be able to diagnose the problem in a couple of minutes.

The good news is that the problem is easily solved and not all that expensive (in terms of Porsche repair costs).
Old 07-04-2002, 06:30 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also - the multi link front suspension on your e30 uses one additional hub fixing ball joint because it uses a thrust arm and a control arm instead of the 944's a-arm.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing/Ball Joints Question