Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater core questions, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question heater core questions, please help

Hey guys,

I don't really know where to start here. When I bought the car the heater valve was bypassed, so I have since changed the hoses and I have heat. However, this was two weeks ago to the day. A week after that I noticed smoke in the passenger footwell and found a small antifreeze leak. I have the temperature set on cold and haven't used the fan since. That was the end of the smoke. Now a week later I have been adding antifreeze almost every other day, not much, just topping off.
Therefore, it is obvious that I have a problem, but my question is this...is my heater core bad or could it be just some hose connection under the dash board? Does anybody know anything about this because I sure don't! Visibly I can see a good bit of corrosion around two(probably more?) hose connections. It is tough to see under the dash though, and it's right next to the console.
So, anyone who can offer suggestions, I would appreciate it...it's been a cold winter for me! BTW the driver side is not leaking anything, and I have plenty of heat if I was to turn it on.

Thanks, Ethan
Old 02-06-2003, 02:21 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a picture of the <a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/PassengersideAC.jpg" target="_blank">passenger side</a> of the AC/Heater unit. There are two black tubes that connect the heater hose flex inside in the engine compartment to the heater core. Both of these tubes have an O ring and a clip that attaches the tube to the heater core. Look at the bottom of the tube were it goes into an elbow, you can see two cutouts were the clip goes. The leak may be due to this O ring or a loose clip. If it is the heater core, you have some work ahead of you.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:31 AM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

Brian,
That is exactly what I was looking at. Thank you for your help. If it is a bad heater core I don't think I will have a lot of work in front of me, just a cold winter. Thank you for sharing that picture!
-Ethan
Old 02-07-2003, 01:35 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Found a picture of a core out of the car.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2402204433&category=33548" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2402204433&category=33548</a>
Old 02-07-2003, 02:07 AM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

Brian,
You are the man! You must work off commission for this guy or something! Those two hoses are the the visible problems I face. If I can replace them without replacing the core I think I would need plastic surgery to remove the smile from my face. Thanks again for your help.
Sincerely, Ethan

Quick Reply: heater core questions, please help