Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine wire harness protection

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Lee Zook
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Engine wire harness protection

I took off the intake manifold on my 86 951 and found that most of the wire harness outer sleeving has broken up and cracked. The colored wires look good, though. Also, the outer sleeving on the wire to the injectors has also cracked.

In the thread on the + and - battery cables (I have a set on order)Dan had mentioned using a high temp. fiberglass braiding for the new cables. Has anyone had any experiences using this type of material as a retrofit to existing cable runs?

I dread using electrical tape or the split plastic type of tube harnesses.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2003, 07:46 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lee, keep that intake manifold off until I send the cables off to you next week. Not required, but will be easier to lay the new alternator cable in.

I don't think many use this BentleyHarris (Federal Mogul) fiberglass sleeve. It costs quite a bit compared to alternatives and auto applications usually go the CHEAP alternative. I know when I put in an order for 500 feet at a crack I throw the whole supply chain for a loop.

When you get it and take a look-see, I can get you some more for retro fitting. It only comes as large as 3/4", ID. I use the 1/2" & 5/8" in quantity so you should try and stay in that size range unless you want 50 feet.

It is pretty good stuff.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:55 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
I am currently dealing with the same problem. The outer shell gets old and brittle, and easily cracks. I was quite concerned as well using electrical tape due to the high temperature in the area. I have decided to wrap the open areas with electrical tape, and then to wrap aluminum foil tape over the electrical tape to insulate some of the heat. You can get a roll of the foil tape at any home improvement store for about $5. I hope this is sufficient.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:19 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just get some hot pink wire loom from Autozone, it's good for 15HP(or atleast the ricers think so). I think you can get a similar (like factory) covering at electrical suppliers. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am just about to order a new DME cable harness because of this. I am worried a injector will short out and I will loose a cylinder. Besides, I need to use the $100 discount card I got from PCA.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Lee Zook
Instructor

IceShark
I came across some different flexible brading made of different materials (most rated to about 250 F continuous duty) that offers a great amount of expandability to get over the connectors, but I don't think that the temperature resistance is good enough. How big will the 3/4" sleeve expand?
On the intake manifold, I am slowly moving on the oil pan gasket (& rod bearings) replacement. I figured that I would incorporate the battery cables and replace old hoses/vacuum lines in the area while I had the manifold off.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2003, 11:15 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Lee, the 5/8ths expands over 1 inch for a short duration. You just need to milk things down and around. I haven't had any 3/4" so can't say how big that will cover, firsthand.

But this will take very high heat, let me know if you want the goofy specs, but you should be good to 1000F at the end of the day. The manufacturer keeps the heat specs down to protect liability on the dye they use to seize the fiberglass threads. Apparently, when that boils off it is not so good for your lungs. But the sleeve is still good.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:35 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too worried about the outer parts ctacking, with all the heat cycling. I did have an injector wire fail but we found it and repaired it.

I know we have talked about many bad deals on ebay but let me relate a good one.

I just bought a "New NOS" 951 engine harness complete, for 86-87. Pics were good on the auction; well I got home today and opened the box and it was brand new, the outer shielding is so flexible. It turned out to be a good ebay auction. I also just spent the last 35 minutes ringing it out with a volt meter,,all good to go.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Lee Zook
Instructor

So how much did you give for it and who was the seller?
Old 02-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the seller was John B????, extreme-euro
seller ID & the final price was $217 + ship IIRC. I had to travel just after I won the auction so it sat here for a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: Engine wire harness protection