Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft sprocket removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 08:30 PM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question camshaft sprocket removal

Do you need a puller to remove the camshaft sprocket? Also are there any special things I need to be aware of when removing the sprocket, or the camshaft belt housing that is behind the sprocket. I need to remove the sprocket so I can remove the upper metal camshaft belt housing that is attached to the camshaft assembly. I am assuming all I need to do is remove the bolts behind the sprocket to remove the housing. Just wanted to make sure I am on the right track.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing trick to it. The sprocket comes off after removing a bolt that down inside of the center of the sprocket. This bolt uses a 12 point internal socket. If you're going to work on these cars, get a set of these (about $15). Once the bolt is out, there is another piece that comes off, and then the sprocket should just slide off the end of the cam. There are three bolts holding the housing to the cam carrier. Nothing to this, just don't spin the cam over while you're doing the deed.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:53 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

I had to use a 3 jaw puller to remove the camshaft sprocket when I changed my seals/belts; it was NOT an easily removable item. This removal was trivial compared to removing the 12 pt bolt holding the sprocket to the camshaft. I spent 2 days "honing" the bolt head off with a carbide bit on a Dremel tool, single longest part of the whole timing belt replacement process.

Old 02-05-2003, 03:03 PM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

Angry

Thanks for the response about the cam sprocket removal. I have the 12 pt. sockets. However this 12 pt. nut will not come loose and I am using an impact wrench!! How in the world did you loosen this nut. Is there something I have to do to break this thing free? Are the threads regular counter-clockwise to loosen. This has stopped the whole project, and I want to get back on the road. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:49 AM
Ernestly
6th Gear

999 510 022 08 in the Euroselect book called an "Allen head 10 x 65mm" is a righty tighty.
It should not be overtorqued. This may be your problem. Maybe overtorque damages it and you should get a replacement. IMHO
Ernie
Old 04-20-2003, 09:50 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Ringo... I feel your pain. When I came up on this puppy a couple of months ago, I dinked with it for an hour or so and couldn't come up with a way to hold the cam, while apply steady heavy torque to the bolt. There is undoubtedly a trick, and I'm still waiting for someone to volunteer it. Finally decided my cam seal wasn't leaking - I know, I'm such a whimp.
As for the impact, that doesn't surprise me. Maybe you have a really good impact (I don't) but mine are only capable of something like 80 pounds of torque (swag)....Bruce
Old 04-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ringo, here is my trick as shown to me by a great mechanic, who I actually got him to build one for me. Take an older socket that fits over the sproket retainer(standard or metric), have any welder weld a pc of 1/2" or 3/4" pipe to the side of it, leaving the back of the socket open, the pipe about 12-18" long. Put the socket on the retainer, rotate until the pipe hits on your bench or the garage floor, break and loosen the 12 point bolt going through the back of the socket where the ratchet drive would be; use it when tightening also.

Quick Reply: camshaft sprocket removal