Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mechanic is stumped....any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinker951
...... he hasnt had time to work on it since yesterday morning when i asked him to give the cam sprocket a 360 spin to change the phase 180 degrees.
Ummm... spinning the cam sprocket 360 puts it right back where it was. Do you mean the crank sprocket? If this were the problem, it wouldn't have been running in the first place.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Give your mech this link to clarks garage.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

First, make sure the timing is now correct.
Then start trouble shooting. I once spent the better part of two nights troubleshooting this exact problem. It turned out to be a bad speed or reference sensor. Replaced that and the car started right up.

The other thing I have not seen mentioned is the DME relay. That will also render the car unstartable.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Tinker951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete-interesting reading I've done now. the DME relay that is connected to the fuel pump relay and O2 sensor might be the x-factor. Im running a printout to my mech now.

I just wired in an aftermarket O2 sensor that was in a box from the PO. Previously, the O2 sensor had been cut and wires hanging free on the exhaust pipe and the connector unplugged.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have met porsche mechs that replace the DME relay if it is over 5 years old. These are mechanical relays that wear out over time. I don't think an 02 sensor will prevent the car from running.
It may run like crap, but it will run.
The DME relay or the ref sensors are most likely the problem. Once the timing has been double checked as correct.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

A large vacuum leak will also cause a no start condition. If your mechanic left one of the intercooler pipes loose, or left the AFM out of its boot during the timing belt repair, that might also cause your problem.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Tinker951
Intermediate

i agree pete, it was the reading of the dme relay that got me thinking.....the o2 heater wires are in the same circuit as the fuel relay and dme relay. it could cause problems if theres a short or something. either way, i forgot about clark's garage and i pointed him in that direction. he still hasnt touched the car.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the car have a factory alarm? Had a similar problem. Replaced DME, checked sensors. Finally by-passed alarm and it fired right up. When you turn the key to the on position does the boost guage jump right to the 1 bar reading? If it not, It could be the alarm box. When cranking the engine over I still had deflection of the tach, but the boost guage was dead. Instructions are on Clark's for alarm by-pass if needed.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
He said he is getting fuel, and spark so the DME should be fine.

There are only 3 components to fire an engine...AIR, fuel, spark....something is being missed. HOW did you mechanic verify spark?
Originally Posted by PeteL
Give your mech this link to clarks garage.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

First, make sure the timing is now correct.
Then start trouble shooting. I once spent the better part of two nights troubleshooting this exact problem. It turned out to be a bad speed or reference sensor. Replaced that and the car started right up.

The other thing I have not seen mentioned is the DME relay. That will also render the car unstartable.

According to what he has stated the DME should be fine.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

did you check your injectors?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinker951
i agree pete, it was the reading of the dme relay that got me thinking.....the o2 heater wires are in the same circuit as the fuel relay and dme relay. it could cause problems if theres a short or something. either way, i forgot about clark's garage and i pointed him in that direction. he still hasnt touched the car.
Yes, definitely possible, it happened to me. I would have to check my car, but I had a faulty O2 sensor at the track that would blow the fuel pump fuse everytime it powered up. To remedy this to get home I snipped one of the lines out of the fuse box to isolate the O2 sensor from the fuel pump. The wire is easy to spot since it has since been repaired. When I get home I will take a look at what pin its at, so that you can meaure for a short across it.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Tinker951
Intermediate

Default Problem Solved!!

after checking and double checking, he still couldn't figure it out so i had him tow it back to my house and let me have a whirl at it as if i knew what i was doing.

I checked the timing it was perfect. checked the injectors....they were spitting gas. the tach moved when the engine turned. there was compression from his tests. there was spark. I was very confused and about to cry.

as i was putting the cam sprocket cover back on, i noticed the distributer rotor was not lined up on the #1 cylinder while at TDC. it was at 6 o'clock instead of 4 oclock. gave it a twist, tighented down the sprocket cover, and it cranked right up. of all things. the valve timing was great but the spark timing was off. a week and a half at the shop and 200 dollars for a broken fuel line, retarded timing at the belt, and then advanced timing at the rotor. hehe. its a friggin rocket now, though. its running better than it has the entire time ive had it.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:50 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice! Good to see you are up and running. You might want to take the little screw (3mm allen head) that holds the rotor on, back out, and apply a small drop of removable locktight on it to make sure that won't happen again. In fact, what do you mean by gave it a twist? The rotor shouldn't move or twist on the shaft unless you are missing that aforementioned screw. Have a look ti make sure.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ha i was right! Well pretty close to being right.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Johnny Player Special
Instructor

Fire that mechanic.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Tinker951
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OntarioTurbo
Nice! Good to see you are up and running. You might want to take the little screw (3mm allen head) that holds the rotor on, back out, and apply a small drop of removable locktight on it to make sure that won't happen again. In fact, what do you mean by gave it a twist? The rotor shouldn't move or twist on the shaft unless you are missing that aforementioned screw. Have a look ti make sure.
that screw was missing. I really dont know how. it was there when i did the cam tower work. a new one has been placed in its stead.

when i drove back to the garage this morning, he saw me coming and met me outside and desparately wanted to know to know how i did it. he was a bit embarassed when i told him. thanks to everyone on this thread. it helped me out a lot.

Quick Reply: My mechanic is stumped....any thoughts?