Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:37 PM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder and...

I pulled the Clutch Master Cylinder no problem. However I do have a problem under the dash. Apparently this job has been done before. For those of you that know this project you know that the connecting rod (that connects the clevis to the clutch master cylinder) slides into a plastic bushing. When they did this job before they put some yellow glue substance all over the right side of the rod and bushing. That being said I can not for the life of me get the rod to push out. I was going to replace the bushing while I was in there for good measure and it is recommended on Clarks.

If I can't get the rod out do you think I am alright simply connecting the new master cylinder to the existing rod/busing?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:19 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reused mine. The worst that can happen is some slop.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schwank
I reused mine. The worst that can happen is some slop.
I reused mine as well.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 PM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

After squirming around for awhile the bushing seems to be in good shape so I am just going to go with it. I guess the worst thing would be having to replace it down the road but I would much rather do that than try to pull the master cylinder off the firewall again...

Thanks guys...
Old 04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

Ok Guys...so this is my first time bleeding a clutch, bare with me on things that may seem like common knowledge for most...

I have my fair share of mechanical aptitude and since joining the forum over a year ago I decided no more shops for me...I'll wrench on her myself.

I have everything successful installed and connected and am referring to Clarks

11. Install empty power bleeder on reservoir. Pressurize to 10-15 psi and check for leaks. Fix any leaks before adding fluid to the power bleeder.

What is a power bleeder and how does it attach to the reservoir? Can I pick this up at an autoparts store if I don't have one?

12. After checking for and fixing any leaks, add one quart of fresh brake fluid to power bleeder. Pump up to 15 psi and slide under the car with the catch pan, 7mm wrench, and clear plastic tubing.

13. Open the bleed nipple on the clutch master cylinder and watch the flow for air, there should be lots of air in the system. Once the fluid runs solid with no bubbles, close the bleed nipple and detach hose and wrench from nipple. Clean up where spills may have occurred.

Does he actually mean open the bleed nipple on the slave master cylinder under the car?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power bleeder looks like this:

You might be able to get one from the local autoparts store but it could be different brand.

He meant the bleed nipple on the SLAVE clutch cylinder not the master.

Quick Reply: Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder and...