Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When 944's were new.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
I kind of thought he was nuts for driving in and using the car up in some of the worst conditions known to man, thru salt, sand, winter storms, drifts up to a guy's armpits, so I dismissed the whole thing then as being something I couldn't quite identify with or recommend. Especially if one wished to keep a great car like our 944s living for long .....
Maybe, but could be worse! The salt volume back then was far less than the amount they put on today. Today they practically pave the roads in it.

Some states are actually using less corrosive chemicals now, and some states (such as Oregon) prohibit salt use entirely.

Additionally, the 944 (and Porsches from this era) have such heavy undercoat it is hard to breach it. That said, extensive driving through salt really gets to everything..

The salt is arguably worse for modern cars. Cars now have all sorts of nooks and crannies, brackets, covers, etc. that salt sits in and just never gets cleaned out. Not to mention poor undercoat, low quality paint and felt fenderliners to make things worse.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these and any photos on a 944 ? I notice they are listed in the Porsche PET parts pages, but have been told they are no longer available and haven't been for years. I sure wish I would have realized the extreme rarity of that wheel and hub cap then, instead of dismissing it as something not in my realm of acceptance, and taken a few photos of the car wearing that package. It was a somewhat bizarre sight to us not used to identifying with a look such as this.
It looks just like it is shown in the PET. It is the standard early 911-style wheel and hubcap. I've never seen any pictures of them on a '44, but here they are..

Hubcap with a painted crest..

They appear to be available from Stoddard if you really want a set!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 04-10-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks French Toast for the photos.....

But they aren't the wheel he had, and neither were the caps.
Notice on the PET in image 601 I believe, there is a place listed in the parts section with the identifier " wheel for winter use" and no number given for it ? It has been dropped and taken out of the listing even.

His wheels didn't have the slots; they were smooth and full steel rims with a small metal painted cap similar to those for steel VW rims back in the day. Like the Fox, Rabbit, Scirroco, Golf wheels. Maybe even Jettas and Passats in the late '70's and '80's.
Looking at the current PET , those G body Porsche rims we are all familiar with have a chrome cap and a slotted wheel. Sadly it looks like the pic which came on the early micro-fische is no longer used and a 911/912 style wheel is the image in it's place .....

So we are still looking for the type he had, with the little press in hubcaps like VW wheels used. I have a strong feeling they maybe were, and the modern steel snow wheel for 911/912 use had the clearance for the newer cars after 85.2 ? ? ? so they dropped the early snow wheel as well as the part number and photo.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:17 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks French Toast for the photos.....

But they aren't the wheel he had, and neither were the caps.
Notice on the PET in image 601 I believe, there is a place listed in the parts section with the identifier " wheel for winter use" and no number given for it ? It has been dropped and taken out of the listing even.

His wheels didn't have the slots; they were smooth and full steel rims with a small metal painted cap similar to those for steel VW rims back in the day. Like the Fox, Rabbit, Scirroco, Golf wheels. Maybe even Jettas and Passats in the late '70's and '80's.
Looking at the current PET , those G body Porsche rims we are all familiar with have a chrome cap and a slotted wheel. Sadly it looks like the pic which came on the early micro-fische is no longer used and a 911/912 style wheel is the image in it's place .....

So we are still looking for the type he had, with the little press in hubcaps like VW wheels used. I have a strong feeling they maybe were, and the modern steel snow wheel for 911/912 use had the clearance for the newer cars after 85.2 ? ? ? so they dropped the early snow wheel as well as the part number and photo.
I see. I was going by the PET, which matched the number for early G-model steelies. Still a mystery, then.

I'm not sure what hubcaps you are referring too. Didn't most VW caps have an embossed logo?

As for the later offset, I've always assumed that the 'Wintercult" style was the standard winter option wheel for that application. But maybe that is only for cars with brakes that necessitate the larger wheel. VW guys love the "wintercults", I think there are more on VWs today than on Porsches!

This look more familiar? Somebody over the Samba posted this. Thread: click

Old 04-10-2016, 11:28 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

YES ! But isn't this wheel shown above, a spare wheel ? Not a regular type of road wheel used for road travel, but a sort of temporary tire and wheel combo ? It looks very much the same with no slots, just a smooth hub center.

And you are correct about the VW steel center cap with the embossed logo on it. I have a set of black anodized (4) which once were center caps used on steel wheels on my FWD VW from 1990. And they do have a large VW emblem embossed in the center.

But the type of cap he had on his were like this and snapped on like that type of cap with little nubbins on the ring that pinched into the center against the inside of the raised portion. I cannot remember it with a Porsche logo or script on it. It may well have just been smooth as well. They were both painted and not finished out like a wheel one would expect on a Porsche.

Quick Reply: When 944's were new.