Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S oil seeping everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM
joes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944S oil seeping everywhere

I'm helping a friend sort out some oil leak problems with his "S" car. We have replaced the valve cover gasket and got the kit to replace everything in the valve cover. It is leaking several different places but the most puzzling is the leaks from the black plugs on top of the v cover, we replaced the "O" rings and plugs. The "EGR" system appears to be working ("sucking" through the oil filler) the only thing that I can think of is blow by but the car runs well and there are no other issues. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
jstand22
Pro

you mean it's leaking oil? Or burning some?

If you're burning some, when is it? Start-up or all the time?
Could need new valve stem seals.

If you're leaking oil onto the ground:

These cars can leak from so many places...first and foremost check your front main seal because you don't want any oil on the belts. Also the balance shafts are prone to leakage...from both the rear plug seal and the front seal. Also the rear main seal is another place to check. Oil pan gasket as well.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 PM
joes
Racer

It's mostly leaking from the valve cover area. We are not concerned with oil consumption, just leaks. It seems that the crankcase is over pressurizing and forcing oil out around the v cover. There is even oil on TOP of the v cover.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:50 AM
craxy944
3rd Gear

I saw this post as I also have an '87 944S and the valve cover gasket is starting to leak oil through the top, sides, and even down into the spark plug area. The thing I'm worried about is the exhaust has been blowing some oil as well...Or an unusual amount of condensation. Until recently the engine has been fantastic about burning hardly any oil and I'm wondering if it's some other gasket that is contributing to this new symptom. How long do the head gaskets usually last in the 944S motors?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Originally Posted by joes
It's mostly leaking from the valve cover area. We are not concerned with oil consumption, just leaks. It seems that the crankcase is over pressurizing and forcing oil out around the v cover. There is even oil on TOP of the v cover.
if this is the case its because you have no PCV (positive crankcase ventilation)

the crank case pressure is vented out the top of the air/oil separator which is the thing you pour oil into to fill the engine with oil. there is a hose attached to the top of that that connects back to the intake manifold. the vacuum in the manifold draws the excess gas/pressure out of the crankcase and into the engine to be burned up and spit out the exhaust.

so if the line that connects to the top of that air/oil separator is so filled with nasty gunk from the oil that pressure can no longer escape frot he crankcase it will force its way out usually up past the piston rings *which will make lots of nice blue smoke out the exhaust) or though whichever seal is the weakest, which could be your valve cover.

kind of a long shot... but if there is pressure in the crank case then this is your best bet.

Quick Reply: 944S oil seeping everywhere