Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration/Rumble

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:15 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration/Rumble

I have done lots of searching but this one still has me baffled. I have noticed a vibration/rumble when I'm in 5th gear around 2500 RPM, it feels like when shift into 4th or 5th at too low an RPM. The car runs soothe and shifts with no problems but if I cruise in 5th at a lower RPMs I have this problem, if I drive at the same RPM in 4th there is no Vibration. By the way, I did change my timing belt a few years ago but I don't recall having the problem after the belts was changed.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similar issue when i was in fifth. my balance shaft belt had broken and that causes bad vibrations
Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pormgb
I have done lots of searching but this one still has me baffled. I have noticed a vibration/rumble when I'm in 5th gear around 2500 RPM, it feels like when shift into 4th or 5th at too low an RPM. The car runs soothe and shifts with no problems but if I cruise in 5th at a lower RPMs I have this problem, if I drive at the same RPM in 4th there is no Vibration. By the way, I did change my timing belt a few years ago but I don't recall having the problem after the belts was changed.
Check your CV joints and make sure the axles are bolted up properly. A good way to check if this is the case is to run at the same SPEED in 4th gear as your problem happens in 5th.

When my CVs were going, I found that about 62 MPH was where they caused a vibration. I noticed it in 5th first, but was able to duplicate it in 4th.

I ended up re-greasing and changing the rotation of my CVs, plus set of new bolts, and all has been well for a few thousand miles. Yes, replacing them would have been better.....but I was able to do that without any extra parts on a Saturday (I happened to have the bolts already).

Quick Reply: Vibration/Rumble