Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so if i wanted to get ahold of some paint.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
Mike,

I can get you in and out for 1400, if you stay with Alpine White.

Body work is you...materials, paint and prep is us.

Call me if you want the deal, OR if you want to just buy the paint give me a P-code and I'll get it for you at cost.
I would take a deal like that, and NEVER look back.... Same go for Red? How bout medium slate gray???
Old 03-26-2009, 11:15 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I would take a deal like that, and NEVER look back.... Same go for Red? How bout medium slate gray???
red=1500.00

Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Yeah, at that price, you'd get a lot of bites.

I'm looking to have a high-end paint job done soon, and was guessing at a ballpark of around 6k.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:22 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CPR
red=1500.00

I will start sorting out my body work this weekend... Hell of a deal for a respray... You opening your own bodyshop next?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Whisper
Yeah, at that price, you'd get a lot of bites.

I'm looking to have a high-end paint job done soon, and was guessing at a ballpark of around 6k.
A show quality job including jams, trunk, hood and inner engine compartment is $5k....with trophies to match, albeit 'Stangs.

A job like the one I am referring to has been had by a few "listers" with no complaints, but definitely some compliments. It is not a "color change" job and the car cannot need any body repairs...at least not at that price, but body work can be done for an additional.

Somehow most do not want to spend more on paint than what they paid for the car. This gives them a good alternative.

FWIW, this is not my shop, but one I work closely with.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CPR
A show quality job including jams, trunk, hood and inner engine compartment is $5k....with trophies to match, albeit 'Stangs.

A job like the one I am referring to has been had by a few "listers" with no complaints, but definitely some compliments. It is not a "color change" job and the car cannot need any body repairs...at least not at that price, but body work can be done for an additional.

Somehow most do not want to spend more on paint than what they paid for the car. This gives them a good alternative.

FWIW, this is not my shop, but one I work closely with.
Do they do wheels? I have a set of twists I need to re-finish, and can do everything but paint myself... I SO need to move... I don't even have a garage at this shack...

SORRY DON'T MEAN TO THREADJACK...

PwnmastaP Take this deal, you can hardly touch the deal for the amount of work involved...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPR

Well, the measure of what to put into something is not how much you put into it already, but how much it's worth to you when it's done.

If I put 20k into a 5k car, then the real question, when I'm done, is "would I rather have that or a new 25k car?". For the 944, this question is a no-brainer. A 944 with 20k invested will outrun, outcorner, outclass, and outstyle pretty much anything you can buy for 25k.

I think people are reluctant to invest that much in these cars because when it's thought of as "aftermarket stuff", it seems like a lot. But these same people will happily spend that much on a new ($_commuter_box) to use as a daily driver.

I'd rather have a sound, clean, mechanically sorted, ls1 hybrid with a limited slip and show-quality paint, than a new Accord.

But enough about my priorities, and enough of my rambling.

I'm curious about how this guy (not, as you say, you) is able to his prep work so cheaply.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Well, the measure of what to put into something is not how much you put into it already, but how much it's worth to you when it's done.

If I put 20k into a 5k car, then the real question, when I'm done, is "would I rather have that or a new 25k car?". For the 944, this question is a no-brainer. A 944 with 20k invested will outrun, outcorner, outclass, and outstyle pretty much anything you can buy for 25k.
I'm with you, but a 5K P-car will almost surely do the same, before the 20K investment.... The 20K is just the icing to make the cake more envied by your friends/co-workers...

Back to thread...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
So if the OP wants to do a metallic instead of a single stage white the big money is the color, and assuming he isnt going nuts on door jambs, etc. since it is white over white (and my BMW and my Aurora didnt/dont have the jambs painted with metallic) the difference in price should be on a half gallon of color, which should be less than $75 extra?
Not really. You also need to consider that a single stage is 2 or 3 coats of color. Metallic is the same, plus another 2 or 3 coats of clear. There's nearly double the booth time on that job.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:03 AM
pwnmastap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok just to clear this up. i just wanted to know how much it would cost for a gallon of the so called infamous rare pearl white paint. i love the color.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:11 AM
CPR
Race Director

I think people are reluctant to invest that much in these cars because when it's thought of as "aftermarket stuff", it seems like a lot. But these same people will happily spend that much on a new ($_commuter_box) to use as a daily driver.

I'd rather have a sound, clean, mechanically sorted, ls1 hybrid with a limited slip and show-quality paint, than a new Accord.

But enough about my priorities, and enough of my rambling.

I'm curious about how this guy (not, as you say, you) is able to his prep work so cheaply.

Well...I am not so sure about this part:

"A 944 with 20k invested will outrun, outcorner, outclass, and outstyle pretty much anything you can buy for 25k. "

You can get used Vettes, Saleens, Cobras, Evo's...especially Evo's for sub 25K that will definitely outrun any '44...especially the Evo's and SC saleens...but that is a whole 'nuther thread

And you are correct.."how much is it worth to the individual?". From what I have seen 90% of '44 owners will not, nor will ever spend $5k for paint. Alot have a hard of enough time keeping up on the maintenance. Just go to the next GTG and see, and I am not trying to offend anyone, it is just simply the truth. I do not even have a "trophy" paint job and I would get it for 2500..lol.

The economics on how he keeps his costs down are simple:
-CASH JOB
-No body work
-CASH JOB
-and...CASH JOB

And no I am not a painter...lol...I do not think anyone would want to drive a car I painted...I cannot get the brush strokes out...even with the roller
Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pwnmastap
ok just to clear this up. i just wanted to know how much it would cost for a gallon of the so called infamous rare pearl white paint. i love the color.
And from this thread you can see that it's not a specific enough question. It appears you are talking about a gallon "ready to spray". My guess is $150 to $300 to make a gallon of ready to spray in a quality system.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:28 AM
pwnmastap
Racer

i just think its funny to see people argue over something as stupid as a paint job. im a normal guy with a normal porsche. it looks like its sat thru an endless katrina hurricane for ten of its 20 sumtin years.

im just lookin for a nice white (pearl preferably) to go over my already existing white. forget the door jams and what not they look fine.

i want people to walk by and say that looks nice. not im ****ing obsessed over it. and no im not gonna spend 3-6k for a paint job. it was a 2000 dollar car y pay that much.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pwnmastap
i just think its funny to see people argue over something as stupid as a paint job. im a normal guy with a normal porsche. it looks like its sat thru an endless katrina hurricane for ten of its 20 sumtin years.

im just lookin for a nice white (pearl preferably) to go over my already existing white. forget the door jams and what not they look fine.

i want people to walk by and say that looks nice. not im ****ing obsessed over it. and no im not gonna spend 3-6k for a paint job. it was a 2000 dollar car y pay that much.
That's great. Just buy some paint and slap it on. It will last for at least a summer or so without proper prep and mid coats.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 AM
pwnmastap
Racer

daryl not what i meant. i just want to know cost of the paint. others will be factored in later. i know its not gonna be cheap. and i understand show versus cheap makes a big diff i respect ur advice and thank you but im not going that route.

just want is as cheap as possible and still look ok

Quick Reply: so if i wanted to get ahold of some paint.....