Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slave Cylinder or Clutch Master Cylinder Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:57 PM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave Cylinder or Clutch Master Cylinder Problem...

I tried running search on this but it appears the search feature is not working correctly. Can someone confirm?

So I FINALLY after a month and a half I got the new aero door handle replacement for the broken one ordered, painted and on the car. I hopped in to take it for a spin only to discover my clutch pedal was on the floor board. I know the clutch is in good shape as it only has about 20,000 miles on it. The pedal is either at the floor board or all the way out parallel with the brake and has zero compression.

I looked under the dash and there is clear fluid leaking out of the rubber boot going into the firewall which would lead me to believe this is the master cylinder. I looked through all the service records and noticed that the slave cylinder has been replaced several times. Which one is my problem and has anyone done this replacement before that can tell me what pitfalls to be weary of as I have never tried to bleed a clutch master cylinder?

Last edited by WHAMspeed; 03-22-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: url copy paste
Old 03-22-2009, 01:17 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Your clutch master is obviously toast. If you want to have a trouble free clutch replace both the MC and slave, the blue rubber connector hose at the reservoir, and I would replace the pressure line between the MC and slave. Depending on how old the slave is you might get by with just the master. Good luck
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 PM
ExitWound
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're seeing fluid at the pedal, then the master is probably shot. When replacing one, the other typically goes soon after. If the slave has been changed, then the master is probably just feeling the extra strain from the better performance of the slave.

It's a PAIN. There's no room to work with the wrenches under the hard lines in the engine. The actual work under the dash isn't so difficult (if you're small like me). If you're bigger, you may want to remove the seat for more room. The hardest part was getting the master cylinder out and the new one in. Took me a good 6 hours just to get it out because it was fighting me on every turn. Terrible job. Very frustrating. Others, though, have had a lot easier time with it.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my Clutch Master replaced as it was just starting to leak onto the Carpet. That boot is on the Clutch Master.

Check out Clark's Garage for more info. Clutch Master Replace

Quick Reply: Slave Cylinder or Clutch Master Cylinder Problem...