Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iceshark- god of light's....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Schneider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceshark,
Will this kit fit a 968? You reference new lenses for the 44 kit. Since the 44's are different than the 68's, is there an alternative lens for the 68?

If you have this figured out for the 968, I would certainly be interested. The long drives at night from my wife's parent's farm gets a little sporty with the Whitetail and antelope in full bloom up here in Montana.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:10 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nickhance, the full boat kit (which includes a spare set of 90/100 bulbs) with shipping and insurance is $341.50 in US and $344.50 to Canada. Don't ask me why FedEx wants $3 more into Canada since I'm right on the border with them in Minnesota. I have 3 slots still open in this run of 25 harness'.

Schneider, I don't know about the 968 lenses as I don't have one handy to study. The wiring kit would certainly fit but I would have to check into the lenses. If they are plastic composite, forget it as the bulbs will melt them. I'll be running by the local Porsche dealer in the next couple days so I will stop by and ask a few questions and see if I can take a look at one. This kit would be perfect up in Big Sky Country.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:04 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Schneider,

I stopped by the local Porsche dealer to check out the 968 headlights. They didn't have a 968 for sale or in the shop for me to look at and they were sort of clueless about the whole situation.

What I think I learned is that the 968 headlight (which retails for $303 a copy, don't catch a rock!) is all glass & metal or ceramic reflector, depending on manufacture. So you would be OK from a bulb heat standpoint. But you are stuck with that lens unless you could get one out of Europe, and I have no idea how good those designs would be. Bosch apparently made them.

Also seems like different bulbs were installed depending on the exact lens used. Some of them do in fact accept H4s. Others were a 9004 which has a plastic bulb base.

So where do we go from here? You should pull a bulb out and figure out excatly what it is. Verify that your lens has no plastic in it. Measure your voltage at the lights when they are burning so we can decide if this is worth an upgrade. Once we know these facts, then we can decide what to do. A new voltage regulator, wiring harness and 90/100 watt bulbs might be the way to go.

Quick Reply: Iceshark- god of light's....