Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper Pad reinstall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Canuck924S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Bumper Pad reinstall?

I have an '87 924S and recently a guy rolled into me slowly in a drive thru. No visible damage so I wasn't that pissed. Later when i was cleaning my car i noticed that the rear bumper pad was a little lose I tried to tighten it and the studs broke off cause they were rusted pretty bad. Now my pad has no studs but otherwise is in really good shape. Is there anyway i can reattach the pad to the bumper, or do I have to find one at a wreckers. I was thinking of trying to drill new holes in the bumper and using some kind of self tapper. Any help is appreciated.

TIA
Old 07-01-2003, 07:20 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Canuck924S:
<strong>I have an '87 924S and recently a guy rolled into me slowly in a drive thru. No visible damage so I wasn't that pissed. Later when i was cleaning my car i noticed that the rear bumper pad was a little lose I tried to tighten it and the studs broke off cause they were rusted pretty bad. Now my pad has no studs but otherwise is in really good shape. Is there anyway i can reattach the pad to the bumper, or do I have to find one at a wreckers. I was thinking of trying to drill new holes in the bumper and using some kind of self tapper. Any help is appreciated.

TIA</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Mine were rotted pretty badly. You could hear the crunching as you twisted them when they were mounted on the car. They also warped in the sun.

You could find a pair on ebay - I did mine last November. Before that point, I think that noone was selling these, so I inquired with some of the bigger ebay sellers in 9xx stuff, and got a pair for $50, in very good shape. Now, I think people are getting greedy with the prices - $59 for just one side.

Make sure you get the correct ones - I think they have 477.xxx.xxx.xxx part numbers.

They take a m8 nut to hold them in place. You may need a cut-off wheel to get them off the back of the bumper.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin
Old 07-01-2003, 07:48 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took mine off for cosmetic reasons and snapped some of the studs and broke one stud loose from the rubber implant.

I don't plan on putting them back on since they are in sorry shape anyway. But an idea would be to take a vice grips and pull out the old studs from the rubber. Then get some small expansion anchor bolts like the ones used to bolt into concrete, drill holes in the old positions insert the anchors and bolt it back on. That is pretty hard rubber and I think it would hold the anchors. If it fails you are back to where you were anyway and looking at an Ebay purchase.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:06 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lol you think 50 bucks is bad...try 140 at the dealership for ONE!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Canuck924S
Track Day

ttt

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Pad reinstall?