Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine oil light on after cluster removal and winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009 | 12:18 AM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Default engine oil light on after cluster removal and winter

When I fired up my 944S2 last Friday for the first time since fall, I noticed my master warning light and engine oil level light were on. I check the oil level and found it was a bit low, but only at the middle of the dipstick. I added about 4oz of oil and it always indicates the oil is at the top of the dipstick, but the light stays on.

A month ago I pulled out the cluster to replace the light bulbs and reflective material, but didn't fire up the car because it was still too cold. All my other gauges seem to be working fine, and oil pressure is at 5 until the engine is warm when it goes down to 3-4 at idle. Could the cluster be the cause even though everything else seems to work fine? Guess I should try and ground the sender to see if it goes away, if not it would have to be the cluster right? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009 | 01:18 AM
krystar
Drifting

the sender has 2 connectors. one is the oil pressure gauge. the other is the idiot light. i'd prob start by jiggling those. or just unplug one, clean the contact, put it back on. repeat with the other.
Old 03-18-2009 | 08:29 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by krystar
the sender has 2 connectors. one is the oil pressure gauge. the other is the idiot light. i'd prob start by jiggling those. or just unplug one, clean the contact, put it back on. repeat with the other.
+1 first time I pulled my cluster and re-installed it I had all kinds of issues, so I pulled the cluster again, cleaned all teh contacts, re-installed and like a miracle everything was back to working...
Old 03-18-2009 | 02:19 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Sender is a little oily but looks alright. How would I go about grounding it if I wanted to determine if its the float or the cluster that's the cause of the issue?
Old 03-18-2009 | 04:47 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Turns out the problem was the idiot with the tools.

Pulled the cluster again to reseat the connectors, and noticed a problem with the membrane for the B connector. One half of the plastic bar used to hold in place had popped out. Got it all back together and the light was gone.
Old 03-18-2009 | 04:52 PM
krystar
Drifting

Carl, or Karl, is a Scandinavian name originating from old Norse, basically meaning "free man" or just "man".

KrazyKarl would translate to "Krazy Man"

Quick Reply: engine oil light on after cluster removal and winter