Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Banana Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:27 PM
RedOctober
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Banana Arm Bushings

I am upgrading to 30mm t-bars on my '86 N/A, and have run into a snag with the bushings I thought would be easy. Those on the spring plates that I was worried about were not so bad somehow......

I bought the Racer's Edge delrin bushings for the banana arms, and they don't seem to fit. When I took the original rubber bushings out, I removed the outer metal sleeve, and the rubber bushings, leaving the inner metal sleeve and the end of the arm itself.

The problem is the delrin does not want to go into the metal sleeve that is left....seems too wide to go in, even after heating the arm.

Am I also supposed to remove the inner metal sleeve that is left? (in the pics below, it is rust colored)
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try enlarging the hole slightly (if it's only a hair to small) using this method:

This is Sterling Doc's picture; I hope he doesn't mind me referencing it.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RedOctober
I am upgrading to 30mm t-bars on my '86 N/A, and have run into a snag with the bushings I thought would be easy. Those on the spring plates that I was worried about were not so bad somehow......

I bought the Racer's Edge delrin bushings for the banana arms, and they don't seem to fit. When I took the original rubber bushings out, I removed the outer metal sleeve, and the rubber bushings, leaving the inner metal sleeve and the end of the arm itself.

The problem is the delrin does not want to go into the metal sleeve that is left....seems too wide to go in, even after heating the arm.

Am I also supposed to remove the inner metal sleeve that is left? (in the pics below, it is rust colored)
BFH (big f'n hammer) and a drift.. or didn't the racers edge bushings come with instructions... I just did Elephant Racing monoballs, and they came with instructions... to use a BFH and a drift (punch)... I also took a hacksaw and cut through the inside CAREFULLY to release them, one or two good hits with the hammer and the sleves fall right out... Unless the delrin bushings need the sleeves (the sleves left are part of the OEM rubber bushings by the way...)

Good luck, and be careful...don't screw up your naners...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:21 PM
RedOctober
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No instructions with the Racer's Edge.....

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.....whether or not those inner sleeves also come out. I think they have to, because if I put the delrin in the bracket on the torsion tube, they BARELY fit by themselves. So if they also had the extra width of that metal sleeve, no way they would fit in the bracket.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:27 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RedOctober
No instructions with the Racer's Edge.....

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.....whether or not those inner sleeves also come out. I think they have to, because if I put the delrin in the bracket on the torsion tube, they BARELY fit by themselves. So if they also had the extra width of that metal sleeve, no way they would fit in the bracket.
I beat the hell out of my sleeves, before getting the hacksaw out and cutting through the sleeve, just be careful to not cut into the aluminum of the banana arm... Takes a little finesse (yes I did just tell you to use finesse with a hacksaw, but hell it worked great for me...)

Be careful and good luck...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Do a search for rear suspension bushings - threads started by me.

I cover in great detail how I got mine out.

Quick Reply: 944 Banana Arm Bushings