Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT **** Space Shuttle "Columbia" has CRASHED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003 | 04:17 PM
overKILL
Intermediate

Curiousity killed the cat? I'm done.
Old 02-01-2003 | 04:30 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

I heard about it on the way to work this morning...needless to say the mall was dead. My respects to all of the crew.

-=RANT=-
Overkill,
To say we were never "meant" to leave this planet is ludacris. Yes, there are plenty of problems with corruption, pollution, the environment, etc., but you're saying we should have gone to horsepower and then stopped? What if humans decided to stop after discovering fire? Where would we be today?

And, just for your information, many people do not believe in the Christain Bible, so whatever it says would be irrelevant to a secular scientific/ government body. When the bible was written, people thought the Earth was flat and that the Earth was the center of the universe. EXPLORING proved that wrong.

As for using the tired old phrase "curiousity killed the car," please. You do know the popular catch phrases do not control the world right?

You go ahead and draw your "line" back in the stone age...actually, I'm pretty sure soem cavemen died experimenting with fire/ exploring their world, so you should go squat naked under a somewhere.
Old 02-01-2003 | 04:44 PM
P944forScott
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by iloveporsches:
[QB]-=RANT=-

And, just for your information, many people do not believe in the Christain Bible, so whatever it says would be irrelevant to a secular scientific/ government body. When the bible was written, people thought the Earth was flat and that the Earth was the center of the universe. EXPLORING proved that wrong.

QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Again,

Thousands of years ago the Bible described the earth as a "globe" floating "space".
America was founded by groups of Christians who were searching for religious freedom.Who went "exploring" on a new dangerous frontier and were told they would fall off the edge of the earth or be eaten by sea monsters.
Many scientific discoveries founded by Christian monks, genetics for instance.
Old 02-01-2003 | 04:49 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

damn
Old 02-01-2003 | 05:28 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

These are dark and nasty days. Seems like one damn thing after another. Terrorism, war, disaster. The world is shaking and trembling everywhere. I'm tired.

7 scientists on a research mission. Human beings trying to transcend and achieve something higher than grunt existence. All lost.

I'm tired and damned sad.
Old 02-01-2003 | 06:26 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Like they were saying on the news, it is amazing that we haven't lost any spacecraft in this way yet. As sad as it is you can't be to surprised that after almost half a century we have had one accident upon re-entry from space.

I hope they find out what happened and fix it. I would hate to see the Space Program put on hold. Luckily we have the International Space Station so we are obligated to space travel for the time being.

Overkill,
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs. I just don't understand why someone like you that would rather have things simple and pure is sitting on an Internet chat board and driving a Porsche?
Old 02-01-2003 | 09:10 PM
boostaholic
Instructor

when everyone talks about how much cleaner the "olden days" were I think they forget about the horse poo in the streets, the monthly showers, and the black-smoke spewing factories.
Old 02-01-2003 | 09:14 PM
overKILL
Intermediate

I don't care what you guyz think. I am not trying to preach to you people. But, all of our experimentions and exploring is killing us! Every time they pass through the ozone, they are destroying a piece of it. That and the many other things that eat at it. All the chemicals we use on a daily basis are killing us slowly. Humans are smart but not that smart. We can and have figured out many things but there is so much we dont know and what we dont know is killing us. I work in a hospital where I see people riddled with cancer and all kinds of dieases. You people have know idea. If humans dont kill each other with nuclear warfare then cancer will. What cancer doesnt kill everything else will. Cancer is up by 70%. Anyone here have anyone close to you dye from cancer? Sad isnt it? Cancer is mutated cells that reproduce very rapidly(most cancer) using up the bodies resouces starving all the other portions of the body. You can remove cancer from the body but you cant get rid of it unless you get rid of the reason you got it. How do you mutate cells? Chemicals, radiation, etc,.... Yes, I am using the internet and yes I drive a porsche. Will I die because of it? Probably,... why? Humans arent that smart after all. I mean damn, how many people actually learn from there mistakes? Not alot. That makes humans stupid. We take life for granted. All other creatures,... life is all they got so they are going to protect what they have. I dont what you people think. I am sad over the deaths of the seven people that went up, but they knew what they were in for as the news said. End of story.
Old 02-01-2003 | 09:53 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

" This is what we get for tinkering with forces we were not meant to tinker with."

huh ????????????????????
Old 02-01-2003 | 10:04 PM
Lee Zook
Instructor

It was a sad event indeed. I am a Materials Engineer who works in the group at the Kennedy Space Center that manufactures the thermal protection components for the Shuttles. It is no surprise that what happened today, did. The shuttles are very complex (100,000's of parts). The environment in which the shuttle operates are extreme. If you thought the headers on your engine got hot, that is nothing in compairison to the temperatures that the lower surface of the shuttle experiences (&gt;3000 F).
I was also at the center in 1986 when the Challenger exploded and participated in the investigation. Unlike the known problem with the booster o-rings and the moter case joint configuration, the orbiter thermal protection system did not have any latent design defects.

Our job now is to understand the events which occured and develop solutions to address those issues.
Old 02-01-2003 | 10:07 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

edit: nevermind. It's probably best to just not get involved in this one.

My sympathies go out to the families of the astronauts, and I hope that this does not hinder our progress.

BB.
Old 02-02-2003 | 12:42 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

"Every time they pass through the ozone, they are destroying a piece of it."

No they are not.

"Cancer is up by 70%"

That's because people live long enough to get it, in the Great old days most people died before they were thirty.

I'm willing to respect your opinion even though I think it is wrong.

BUT DO IT SOMEPLACE ELSE!

Start anohter thread. There are 7 people dead. Let us mourn them. Now is not the time and the place.

Your as bad as the people I knew that accused America of causing 911 on 911.
Old 02-02-2003 | 12:51 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Im not touching this one with a forty foot corndog.
Old 02-02-2003 | 01:30 AM
Porsche5050
Burning Brakes

Someone mentioned Allah in a not so pleasant manner that could have been left out. Someone mentioned the Bible in the same manner. People died today, people that thought they were doing good. Let’s leave debate and opinion for another day and see the human side of this sad incident.
Old 02-02-2003 | 01:49 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The crew was aware of the risk, but this is what they truly wanted to do.

If you have to give your life, why not do it doing the thing you love. I have the utmost of respect for them.

My sympathies to the families, they have to carry on without a loved one, and suffer their absence.

Quick Reply: OT **** Space Shuttle "Columbia" has CRASHED!