Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 AND 968 short shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 04:33 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MadMax - ahhhh, soooo....

thanks for the info there!
Old 06-29-2001, 05:05 PM
aka 951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mix up on my part - should be up not down

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: aka 951 ]
Old 06-30-2001, 02:58 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Tim - isn't your product just shortened at the top?

Yes and converted from rectangular to round.

Lengthening the height of the shift **** would be,
like, not doing anything at all to the shifter, right?

It depends on how much adjustment you have.Ofcourse I will make it so it can be adjusted from slightly shorter then stock to alot shorter then stock.

If you don't move that pivot, you cannot have a short shift without moving the **** away from the
steering wheel (speaking in terms of shifter lever modifications only)

There are many ways to accomplish a shirt shift.My way of doing it is by shortening the height of the shiftknob and therefor shortening the distance between point A and B.

Essentially, you are grabbing the stick lower - not really a shortening of the throw as much as a
shortening of the lever...

If you shorten the lever, you shorten the shift.Its basic geometry.

Perhaps a bend in the rod coupled with an elevated - wait (thought forming) - perhaps a ROD
EXTENSION coupled with and elevated pivot arm is the BEST SOLUTION?.....

I will let someone else come out with that:^) The only change I want to make is the shift **** height adjustment.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 06-30-2001, 12:40 PM
Todd
Advanced

What is the down side of a short shift kit?

Is it harder on your transmission? I already have very slight grinding going into second when the car is cold (first 5 mins of winter driving). Will a short shift kit make this problem worse?

I am replacing my clutch soon, If I want a short shift kit should I opt for a performance clutch? Which one?

Todd 91 S2 Cab
Old 06-30-2001, 01:15 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I would guess that Tim's shifter would have one downside, that is slightly increased effort required to shift.
Ahmet
Old 06-30-2001, 01:44 PM
K. Wells
Intermediate

I haven't noticed any downsides to tim's shifter, effort is the same, height is better, and shifts are done with the wrist instead of the arm like with the overly tall stock ****.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:49 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Anytime you shorten the shift lever you will get an increase in effort to shift.How bad is it? Very minimal.You probably wont even notice.I didnt.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 07-01-2001, 01:45 PM
keith
Drifting

Just a note of agreement here- Tim is absolutely right, ANY short shifter will increase effort. The positives of the shorter throw more than outweigh the neagatives, at least in my mind.

And I for one do not understand how a short shift will cause tranny damage. I think all the rumors stem from guys jamming their synchros during shifting - which can be done with the stock setup... They should probably either "feel" the shift (a little slower) or double-clutch...

I think..
Old 10-24-2001, 01:18 AM
Lamah
Instructor

i know this is an old post, but how do you order the shifter tim ? i looked on the site and didnt see anything.

also, europroducts.net doesnt seem to have the shift kit anymore ... am i blind or did they get rid of it.

thanks,
Lamah aka Jeff
Old 10-24-2001, 05:27 AM
Nicolas
Instructor

Smile

Hello
I have installed the KOKELN unit purchased from LINDSEY RACING on my 968 , it really works great.
I put a big round MOMO **** , it has a much better feeling than the stock one and managed to keeb the stock shifter boot by cutting it from the stock ****, making a lip returned inside the boot and tigntened with a collar .
The whele setup look really nice and works perfectly .
Much firmer engagement , less travel
Just order from you porsche dealer the small plastic washer used in the linkage
A very good purchase !!!!

PS: on the 968 you have to put the lever at the good height or the gear will shift but won't be really locked (engaged) in the gearbox
Old 10-24-2001, 06:24 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Question

I'm still not sold on short shifters. They are nice in theory but I remember to many posts that said something along the lines that the synchros may not be able to keep up with the increased shifting speed due to increased leverage etc... Any info along this topic?
Old 10-25-2001, 10:11 AM
MadMax
Pro

The synchros are only involved in down shifts so unless you are tracking your car regularly I don't think you will see increased wear. If you have ever driven a crash box transmission you know that you only have to 'double clutch' on the down shifts. If you are tracking your car and downshifting hard/fast you can expect accelerated synchro wear whether you have a "short shift" kit or not. Plus, most people who track their cars learn to heal-toe and double clutch. This improves time/speed into and out of the corners and can reduce the work the synchros do. I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you really drive your car hard. Tough to do on the street unless you are being reckless or abusive to your car.

Regards,
Max
Old 10-25-2001, 02:12 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just a thought. If you just want to shorten the lever (I know its sick), cut the old one and thread a piece of aluminum stock onto it.... Or save your money for another week and spend it on something more useful like a new set of koni's... Just a thought.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:50 AM
keith
Drifting

I stuck a shift linkage arm made by DST on my trans (already running an Autothority short shift and a Harrington shift lever), and the notchiness and increased effort I atributed to the Autothority setup is gone.

The DST rod replaces the twisted flat bar with rubber grommets that provides the pivot point to move the selector rod in and out of the trans, with a rod that has ball sockets on either end.
No play, just precise, responsive movement back there now...

I've been told that it is basically what the 968s had, not the AUdi flat bar and grommet junk we have on the 944s...
Old 07-01-2002, 04:42 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith,

I've been meaning to get in touch w/you- Dave told me that you had one of his short shifters awhile back- I've had mine for awhile now- i have spoken w/several people about it- I don't THINK I have talked (or e-mailed) w/you about it(?) Anyway- my prob is the noise- it's adding a LOT of vibration, that the stock lever never had...

Also, several things mentioned in this thread are true- YES- you will have little room to adjust at the bottom height adjustment for reasons already mentioned- you can only shorten it soo much. Yes, you will have a slight bit more effort to shift, which is outweighted by the benefit of being able to use a stock ****- I didn't get any shorter shifting at all really (I had to keep raising it back up until I quit rubbing and by the time I got it to the right place, it was basically stock again).

Anyway, my ONLY complaint is the vibration- any input here?

Also, KEITH, the APE shifter- I have been considering this, but have been worried about notchiness- wat about the DST rod? How much was it and how big of a deal to install, etc? I'm now very interested in this stuff...

Also, the kolken is WAAAY too pricey IMO- I would go w/the Harrington shifter (if he's still masking it) or Turbo Tim's, if the adjustability (for a 968) is what you want. Personally, b/c of the vibration probs I and several others have experienced, I would contact Turbo Tim about his- he was planning a shifter that would eliminate this- if you do get that type, then let me know how it does, as i'm about to give up on the Harrington one- it is GREAT quality and an excellent price ($75), but the noise is gettin to me....

Quick Reply: 944 AND 968 short shift kit