Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some guidance in installing Sparco Sprint 5 seats in 944.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some guidance in installing Sparco Sprint 5 seats in 944.

I am making a list of what would I need to install Sparco Sprint 5 seats in my 944 NA. I want to keep the driver's seat fixed and the passenger fixed or on a slider. Also, I am planning to use 6 pt harnesses. What set ups are out there? What is a common mounting solution for the sub belts underneath the seat?
Pics will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

I don't have any pictures of my setup, but here's a ton of good info for mounting harnesses properly.

http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf
Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dimi:

I did sliders on both my "new to me" seats. They don't add any complexity. The sub-belt anchors need to be below and slightly behind the sub belt hole. They anchor through the floor, but the floor is thin there so you need as much backing as you can muster. The "kits" include 4x4 plates, but if possible, I would go with something with a much wider span and have both sub anchors in the same plate.

Shoot me an email. On late 944s the biggest PITA is re-mounting the inboard seatbelt receptacles. They need to move from the seat to the tunnel. There's a frame cross-member that I mounted them through. Super solid. And the shoulders will just clip in the rear seatbelt anchors (replace bolts with eye bolts).

There really aren't many good writeups because there are SO many options.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my 87 race car I use a Sparco Evo2. The side mounts are too narrow when attached to the seats to mount to the factory seat mounts. My cage fabricator welded up a bracket out of flat steel that mounts to the factory floor mounts. The seat is then centered on that bracket and mounted. Finally there is a reinforced crossbar welded into the bracket into which I mount the sub belts. The steel is 4-5x as thick as the sheet metal of the floor so I actually trust it to be safer than a bolt through the floorpan.

For inside lap belts, when you pull off the interior coating the tunnel mounts used in the earlies are still there and in fact have the layer of sheet metal for reinforcement. I drilled holes in the factory hole position and put an eye through the tunnel using another steel backing plate. Same eye bolt on the outside factory lap belt mount, and I run the clip-on ends on the lap belts. Here is a pic of the tunnel with the hole drilled from before I mounted the belts the first time. Other random pics in the link in my sig.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

you'll need adapter brackets for the seats themselves. You may want to double check with the rules for your series, but you might be able to bolt the sub belts to seat mounts.

If you want to use stock belts too for street use, I have a set of brackets that I don't need that have mounting provisions for the inner lap belt mount - eg no need to drill into the floorboard or center tunnel. Shoot me a PM if you're interested
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

What sliders and brackets did you use for the Sparco seats?

Originally Posted by schwank
In my 87 race car I use a Sparco Evo2. The side mounts are too narrow when attached to the seats to mount to the factory seat mounts. My cage fabricator welded up a bracket out of flat steel that mounts to the factory floor mounts. The seat is then centered on that bracket and mounted. Finally there is a reinforced crossbar welded into the bracket into which I mount the sub belts. The steel is 4-5x as thick as the sheet metal of the floor so I actually trust it to be safer than a bolt through the floorpan.

For inside lap belts, when you pull off the interior coating the tunnel mounts used in the earlies are still there and in fact have the layer of sheet metal for reinforcement. I drilled holes in the factory hole position and put an eye through the tunnel using another steel backing plate. Same eye bolt on the outside factory lap belt mount, and I run the clip-on ends on the lap belts. Here is a pic of the tunnel with the hole drilled from before I mounted the belts the first time. Other random pics in the link in my sig.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
What sliders and brackets did you use for the Sparco seats?
The sparco steel side brackets, and sparco FIA sliders. I'm ditching the sliders for this year though as I am the only driver and they raise the seat more than I'd like. Would be nice to have the extra headroom.

Quick Reply: Need some guidance in installing Sparco Sprint 5 seats in 944.