Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What If You Had a $5-8K Budget...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pjburges
Gearboxes are a pain to rebuild. I speak from experience! Buy yourself a good used one with limited slip if you dont have LSD already. I will help you put it in! ha. The whirring is most likely the ring gear. Ring and pinion wear is common on these Audi boxes.

Or....just dont mind it. Yours doesnt whir anything like mine does, and having ridden in your car, I didnt notice very much slop in the drivetrain anyways.

Why do you think you blew the headgasket? I doubt it was that pre-ignition, that was very minor and probably due to the 89 octane that had ended up in the tank...
Well, it's pretty obvious the head gasket is a goner. Not sure what caused it actually...probably was the LBE I had hooked up...I don't have a PSI gauge in the car so no idea what I was actually doing but I'm sure that didn't help it any. The car now runs like hell (I haven't driven it in a week...don't want to hydrolock it...)...starts rough, white smoke and the temp gauge slowly creeps... Pretty tell tale head gasket from what I've read...

You didn't hear the worst of my gear noise...it takes a little warming up for some reason for it to reach maximum noiseyness. It's pretty loud though...I'm OK with it if it's not hurting anything I guess - but I'm going to have him check it out and see if it's something that we can replace/fix. It's just that annoying.

My car does have a LSD. I'll find out what Matt thinks it is and if it's a rip and replace, I'll take you up on your offer!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes man! Well my car had an electrical fire the same day of that 928 show, and Ive been chasing electrical gremlins ever since. Right now Ive got an entire wiring harness from front to rear lying in the garage waiting to go in, Im about 400 bucks in the hole and probably a hundred hours ahead of me, all because the headlight switch randomnly shorted and the fuse never went, melting tons of wires, fuse box etc. Everything but the fuse.

Sometimes some good oil thats a tad thicker in the gearbox can help. First thing I might try is just flushing the fluid and going with Swepco or Redline. I put swepco in mine and it flat out fixed a 2nd gear syncro issue.

The headgasket is a big job, and it wouldnt hurt to get some ARP studs and a widefire headgasket while he's in there. Also, if you were gonna do any mods on the turbo or wastegate- having all that stuff out would make now the time.

Also - if you think you are at risk of hydrolocking it you should probably drain the coolant and oil - then flush with new oil. Itd be terrible to rebuild the top end, only to realize you've washed out the bearings on the bottom end when you got it all back together and then end up having to go in and replace main and rod bearings too! Keep me posted! Sorry to hear about the misfortune!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, im definitely going with a widefire gasket and I'm going to put a new WG in...not sure which one yet...probably a Tial 38mm.

I've tried three different gear oils and none of them really quiets it down enough for my taste anyway. The latest (and probably the best thus far) is Amsoil's Severe Gear. It's most noisy in 1st and 2nd when coasting in gear. If you engage the clutch, it goes away.

I'll keep you posted on what's going on...hopefully it's not as bad as I think it is...but regardless, Matt does a great job and I'll have him give me his honest opinion after he figures out exactly what it is. If it's the HG, I'll have him fix the "while I'm in here's...". I'm just going to have him do my vacuum lines while he's got the intake off as well. I bought a red powder coated cam tower for cheap with all the hardware and gaskets I'm going to have him put on when he's done.

No turbo upgrade for me...if anything, I'd like to do a Vitesse MAF...but I'll wait and see what he thinks about the engine first post-repair before pulling the trigger on that.

Do you have a link for the ARP bolts specific to the 951 head? How many would I need?

Quick Reply: What If You Had a $5-8K Budget...