Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Acceleration At +75

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002 | 10:02 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Post Loss of Acceleration At +75

Like any good CA citizen driving fast is required year round. However, recently I've experienced a phenomenon at speed that even my Mech can't figure out.

After cruising at +75 for a period of time the car begins to require more gas and/or gasps for either fuel or air (not sure which). It's a sensation that feels like the key has been turned off then on. Once you push the gas pedal it will return to normal operation and then in a few moments repeats.

If I pull over and turn the car off for a few minutes and then continue it goes away.

Is this gas or air related, electrical or mechancal, or some sensor(s)?? Oh, and easy fix??

Thanks,

Ripcurl
Old 12-31-2002 | 12:57 AM
OC Porsche
Racer

You could:

A -Ask your mechanic to hang on to the undercarriage of your car while you speed up to 75 and see what happens. Maybe his creeper would fit under there too?

B -Fashion alligator clips with long wires to the leads of you volt-meter and plug into points of interest while you drive. Of course you will be inside the car looking at the display of the volt-meter. I would recommend having a friend look for you.

Points of interest:
Injectors
Coil Wire
Fuel Pump relay
DME relay
O2 sensor
DME

I'm probably leaving a lot out, the basic jist here is that you need to find out where you're losing fuel or spark. Keep us posted, i'm interested to see how it goes if your mechanic is willing!!
Old 12-31-2002 | 01:28 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

O2 sensor cannot cause symptoms described, just so that you know...
Ahmet
Old 12-31-2002 | 10:24 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

I just had a similar problem but not exactly the same situation as yours. It started to cut out at only high speeds and only happened for a split second or so and never happened during start up and it felt like someone shut the car off with the key. It did not lose power slowly in other words...either on or off. After about 2 month, it got worse and stalled for a second to 2 seconds at a time. Finally a month after that it happened at all speeds and did not even want to start. I have enough parts to build another 951 and have left overs so I swapped everything from DME/KLR, fuel pump, check valve, ignition switch, and checked everything from shorts in the injector wires, injector pulse with tester, crank angle sensor contacts, etc. After feeling like taking a hammer to the car, I decided to change the crank sensor even though they were checked for contact and worked well. When I removed it I found the contact on the sensor end of the wire was corroded and coming apart and I guess certain vibrations at different speed moved it enough to stall the car momentarily and eventually wore down more. Tug the crank sensor wire gently while the car is running and wiggle the connector will help. In the case of my cousin's 951 it was one of the injector wires crossed with the other inside the wiring loom caused by someone removing the injector connector by pulling on it. That short will shut down the computer also and cause strange problems.

Quick Reply: Loss of Acceleration At +75