Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transaxle noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Porschal
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post transaxle noise

a Couple a weeks back someone posted about a noise when decelaration.

Having this problem my self, and thinking i had found the problem, told that it was in the differential gear.Wich I had changed over the winter and reduced a lot of play in the back end.

The thing is that now I still have the noise when decelarating.

The tranny,pignon and carrier are ok (checked it when I opened the differential) the mount are solid. the drive shaft and cv joint are in good shape. So I can illiminated those factors.

I am now thinking that the noise is coming from the drive shaft( engine to transaxle) maybe a bearing or a damaged shaft. Or maybe from the clutch ( but I am not convinced).

So I am asking if anyone could give me more info on this problem?

thanking you in advance
Porschal
Old 05-22-2002, 01:48 PM
art
Pro

I have a whine from mine as well. I assume it is a bad bearing somewhere. It is a high pitched whine when accelerating, and a very bad sounding groaning or grinding noise when decelerating. I bought the car sitting, so I have no history on how long the noise has been there or how it developed.

I intend to strip it down and find the problem this summer.

Art
Old 05-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
My car started making much more noise after installing the Sachs Sport spring center disc several weeks ago (part no. 1878 023 541). So far I don't know if the disc is at fault or if the trans is the real problem and the old rubber center disc was masking the noise.

My mechanic is ready to change the trans input shaft bearing (the one on the end) because it's easy to change and it takes most of the load. I get a lot of gear rattle in 1st and 2nd gear between 2500-3000 rpm under deceleration or light throttle application with the trans warmed up. You don't hear it at elevated rpms. There are also some slight groaning noises, but nothing that sounds really, really bad like grinding or whining. I also have a bad vibration (under load mostly) in the gear shift lever between 3200-3400 rpm.

Right now we are debating on whether to do just the trans bearing, or whether to also pull out the Sport disc and replace it with the new Sachs spring center disc that replaces the rubber center version. I have pictures of these two discs on my web site in the ENGINE section and there is quite a difference. The new Sachs disc (part no. 1878 066 531) is just like the new Porsche spring center disc, part no. 944-116-011-02 that supersedes the rubber center disc, part no. 944-116-012-11. Compared to the Sport disc it has a longer hub with longer splines engagement, different springs, and different friction surface.

The Sport disc works quite well, is easy shifting and is significantly lighter than the old rubber disc. Unfortunately, it may also transmit more noise and vibration... but that has not been determined yet.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:06 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Tom Pultz:
<strong>I also have a bad vibration (under load mostly) in the gear shift lever between 3200-3400 rpm.</strong><hr></blockquote>
That's the torque tube.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:04 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by PorscheG96:
<strong>
That's the torque tube.</strong><hr></blockquote>My mechanic said they checked the torque tube and it was fine. If it wasn't he would have told me because the labor to remove it at that point would have been minimal.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:34 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Having this problem my self, and thinking i had found the problem, told that it was in the differential gear.Wich I had changed over the winter and reduced a lot of play in the back end.

There is a rather time consuming procedure which involve adding shims behind the bearing races to control the backlash and endplay of the differential. I am doing his procedure to install a Quaife and it takes time to do the measurements and get the proper shims. I wonder if this procedure was followed when the diff was replaced.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:36 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Had a conversation last night with another S2 owner regarding his transmission noises. He also has the Sachs Sport disc... and his shop advised him to have the trans rebuilt. He did... and the problem was still there. He (like me) is now thinking of pulling out the Sport disc and going with the new spring center version from Porsche.

I have the Guard Transmission torque sensing differential in my car. I do not think it, or the installation is the source of my trans noises because it was quiet until the clutch was changed.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Strange, keep us posted on you progress. I would like to understand how the clutch is making these noises.

I don't envy you having to do this by trial and error. Rebuilding trany, diff, clutch etc. is BIG bucks.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:10 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation

I have the same clutch, and the same mysterious noise. I'm sure it's not the tranny (recently rebuilt),it's not the torque tube (inspected by my mech), and the cv joints are new. It's not a bad noise, just a mysterious one. I never thought that it could be the clutch, but now I am wondering......

Tifosiman
Old 05-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Porschal
AutoX

Thanks guy for your interest

I doubt that it's the clutch, mine is probably the original,the car has 97 000 km (about 58-60k milles).

I have shimed the differential gears when I assemble it, and changed the drive shaft bearing on one side (the other was in perfect condition)but did not shimed it, since no adjustement seem to be required.

I'll be doing further testing over the week end and I'll try to give you more info.

porschal

Quick Reply: transaxle noise