Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get Cam pulley off - what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Jax951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't get Cam pulley off - what am I doing wrong?

I'm doing my timing belt, balance belt and water pump along with the front seals. I have everything off EXCEPT for the Cam pulley. The rotor came off easily, then there was a small 8mm hex-head bolt that went into the pulley that had threadlock on it. That was also removed.

I put a gear puller on it, but the cam pulley only moved MAYBE 2mm (not sure in american sizes - metric is my thing). I didn't want to force it.

There is a 32mm head on the pulley. It seems strange that it would be there for no reason, however in all the procedures I have read, there is no mention of removing a 32mm nut first.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Look down inside the collar/pulley assembly. There's an XZN-head bolt down there that's holding the collar (the thing with the 32mm flats on it) and the pulley to the cam. XZN is a 12-point, triple-square head like a flywheel bolt. You'll hold the collar with the 32mm wrench while you extract the XZN bolt from down inside there. Or take it out with an air wrench which is what I did.

Enjoy.

Bryan
Old 06-28-2002, 02:38 PM
Jax951
Racer

Do you mean STRAIGHT down the center of the camshaft? I shone a light in there, and there is nothing inside!!

I stuck a q-tip with some carb cleaner down the center and wiggled it around - there is no resistance inside - it's just a hollow shaft with a dead end. Do all 944's have this XZN fastener in there? Also where would I get a tool for this? Would sears have one?

I must still be missing something.

Hellllp meeeee...
Old 06-28-2002, 03:59 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Jax951:

Did you get all of the rotor out of the end of the cam? The rotor is a two piece assembly, plastic/steel adaptor. There IS a twelve point internal head bolt that has to be removed. Hazet 990-10 will fit, Snap-on has one as well. In a pinch you can use one from Autozone, but they are real soft and can strip the bolt.

I purchase my Hazet tools from Zelenda. <a href="http://www.zelenda.com" target="_blank">www.zelenda.com</a>

Has my unfinished procedure been any help to you so far?
Old 06-28-2002, 04:16 PM
Jax951
Racer

Cruise,

Your unfinished procedure is BY FAR the most useful procedure I have seen. There aren't a lot out there, I have the porsche manuals, and I have the haynes. I have about 2 other procedures. Yours is THE BEST!!!

I do have a couple of recommendations for minor changes(when I'm all done), and I have taken a bunch of photos that you may want to use in your final documentation.

I wish my regular pc was up and running, then I could post some pics of exactly the problem I'm having. I think the "two-piece rotor assembly" that you mention maybe my problem.

I got to my work pc across the internet and looked at the porsche manual - there is a fairly good blow-up pic on page 125 on Vol1x-Engine. It looks like I have another piece I need to remove before I can get at the bolt.

MJ
Old 06-28-2002, 11:14 PM
Jax951
Racer

Sure enough, I didn't remove all of my rotor assembly! After some serious persuasion, it popped out. Man I wish I'd figured that out at about 11am instead of 3:30pm - I might have actually finished it.

Thanks Cruise.

Quick Reply: Can't get Cam pulley off - what am I doing wrong?