Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Autocross Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Good Autocross Tires?

I went and did my first autocross yesterday and then i noticed that everyone and their mom in the stock classes runs some super sticky DOT race tires. So i attribute my slow-ness to A) Lack of experience, and B) Sucky tires. Does anyone know of a good source for used race tires, or know of a good brand that is semi-economical to buy new. Also, since 215/60-15's are sort of hard to find, is there an alternate size that would work on the stock cookie cutters from an 84 944, without rubbing in hard cornering? Fender gap is not an issue, as these tires will be used for autocross only, however, remaining close to the stock ride height would be prefered. I was thinking maybe 225/50-15's all the way around. Would these fit on the cookie cutters, or would they be too wide?
-Aston
Old 06-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you just attended your first autox, then you should not be worring about getting sticky autox rubber!
First of all, you will not learn as much about car handling techniques with R-compound rubber. Sticky tires have such a tenacious grip that you can easily learn to drive WRONG and FAST.
Second, as a newbie, you won't be able to use R-compound tires to their full potential yet, which means you'll be wasting $$.
Third: while sticky tires will make you go faster, you are better off investing in something else: yourself! Nothing beats seat time in autox. Improve your driving ability, not the car's handling capacity!
Fourth: Why are you worried about what others are running with? The MAIN focus at autox should be on your own improvment and your own driving. Sure, the competition is fun, but that should not be your primary concern yet.

That said, if your tires are crappy, invest in a set of good grippy street tires. That's what I run with (Dunlop SP8000's), and I do respectable in my run group: I'm consistently placing 2nd through 4th. Last autox, I missed first place by 0.006 seconds, if winning means anything...

Also: as tempting as it may be, I'd also suggest you stay away from suspension mods as well, for the same reasons mentioned above. At this point in your illustrious racing career, it is much more beneficial to invest in seat time than in tire/suspension mods. Once you get to a point where you think you're ready for mods, wait a year! And then start slowly. (Ex: thicker rear sway bar for starters!) Do only one mod at a time, otherwise, you won't know what modification helped your car or hurt it! Take baby steps!
It is really best if you keep your car stock: IMO, the stock classes are the purest classes to autox in: in improved and modified classes, there's always someone who has more 'go fast' stuff in their car.

Just my $0.42.
-Zoltan.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:37 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Not to be an ***, because that is not what I'm trying to do, but being slow at your first auto-x is due to lack of experience and not tires. Learn to drive first, then buy the tires. I run Dot-R's at the race track, but that was because at DE's I was chewing through street tires and some of the street tires are more pricy than dot R's.

And don't bother buying used, just call up tire rack and order threw them. Hoosiers have the most grip and wear out the fastest, Yoko A032's have the least grip (but are great in the rain) and last a long time. The rest of the tires are inbetween there some where.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Hey, hey, hey now, people, relax. Point taken and it ended up reassuring me. Notice how the number one reason i mentioned was "A) Lack of experience". That said, i was sort of siting on a fence with one side saying "Buy better tires" and the other side saying "Hey, dumbass, why don't you get the car straight and just keep autocrossing with what you have". Although i was leaning more toward the former, i'll have to admit. However, your replys (Although a bit, ahem, enthusiastic) affirmed the latter suspicion. New nose piece and paint coming soon..
-Aston
Old 06-10-2002, 03:38 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Don't think we are beating you down for wanting to add the tires, it is just a common mistake and we are just trying to get you to save money.

Spending all that money at auto-x, and DE's will have you with a much greater apreciation for these car.

best of luck
Old 06-10-2002, 04:24 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Aston,
Not trying to be harsh, or as you say, "enthusiastic" in my response.
I admit it is very tempting to modify these cars with suspension and tire components: we've all been tempted to do so! Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you!
So, when is someone ready to get sticky tires? In My opinion, when, on street tires, you are able to beat cars in your class that run with stickies, then you're ready for the upgrade!

Just one more warning: autox and Driver's Ed events are very, very addicting....
-Z.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:25 AM
yarin
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Z-man:
<strong>Just one more warning: autox and Driver's Ed events are very, very addicting....
-Z.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What he said....

Save up enough money, you can easily blow half a grand in a season with just AutoX fees. Drivers Ed events are damn expensie, i'll have to wait till I get my own Porsche first... I would suggest doing at least one more AutoX on your stock tires. Beat the hell out of them, get some anger out, learn the limits of your car on the old tires. That way you won't kill the new tires so quickly. That is what I did on my Eclipse. But then again I get tons of understeer on a FWD car. Good luck!! --Yarin(looking into a 951 but forced to wait till graduation)
Old 06-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Well, there's another autocross about 3 miles from my house in about two weeks. Any guesses as to where i'll be? Also, the SCCA region (Continental Divide) does very inexpensive autocross schools for like $45 every so often. Does anyone know what the PCA DE's cost roughly? There are a bunch of them coming up near me in La Junta and Pueblo.
Thanks,
Aston &lt;---Also wants 951, but is waiting to finish college
Old 06-12-2002, 02:24 PM
Gerd
Instructor

There is one comming up June 23 at second creek by DIA. First driver $70 and second $50., my son and I will be there. Also on your question about track tires we should have our first set on the car by then. You can also go to <a href="http://www.vista,pca.org//rmr/" target="_blank">www.vista,pca.org//rmr/</a> to get more information.

Good luck;
gerd
Old 06-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Z-man
Race Director

In NJ: (NNJR region):
Autocross: $30.00
Car control clinic (once a year): $50.00.

Who said NJ was expensive! HA!
-Z.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:02 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Hi Aston, I saw your car run at World Arena last Sunday. I was in the battered blue/gray S2 bringing up the rear in B-Stock. I would have had second-to-last place if I hadn't coned, but oh well. Too bad Cal Neske didn't show up, he runs an NA 944 with street rubber and always beats me. I figure if I can get close to his times with decent street tires, I'm starting to do OK and maybe then I'll think about race tires. I don't really feel like swapping tires at the track though. I got into AutoX to learn how to drive my car better, not to win races (which is a damn good thing given my results.)
I really stank up the track until I took the class, which helped a lot but I could have learned a lot more at the school if I'd have sorted out some of my really big problems beforehand. I'm hoping to get into another school soon.

Good luck
-Joel
Old 06-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Joel, that is my main reason for getting interested in autocross. Just to learn to drive better, however, there is a little competetive itch, ya know? Anywho, i saw your S2, the only other 944 out there other than mine. Mines pretty dang battered too! It's getting there though, the Porsche is more of a hobby than a driver. If there's one thing i've learned, body work is HARD! I never get it right. I'm trying to get some of my friends to come out next time with there 944's, but they are all freaked out about the rules, and being competetive. My buddy Eric tried to tell me that the SCCA wouldn't let me race the stock class with my fiberglass valence and that it would be a big deal. Anywho, the next time i see you at an event, i'll come over and say Hi. Thanks All' Ya'll!
-Aston

Quick Reply: Good Autocross Tires?