Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
BCN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40

Does anyone have direct experience switching an early 944 to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 after 150K? Car will be moving to lower temps for the rest of the season.

944 has been in the family since new, has had a mostly dino with a mix of synthetic and semi here and there.

Just did front seals and only slight leak from oil pan gasket at present.

Thx
Old 02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really see the point in switching to synthetic in a car this age. The risk that a leak that was livable becomes unacceptable is very real, and in my experience the flow will not be staunched if you switch back. With 25 years and 150k miles of service on mostly dino oil, how much additional life will you get from the car by switching to synthetic now vs. keeping it on dino?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:57 PM
BCN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KLR
I don't really see the point in switching to synthetic in a car this age. The risk that a leak that was livable becomes unacceptable is very real, and in my experience the flow will not be staunched if you switch back. With 25 years and 150k miles of service on mostly dino oil, how much additional life will you get from the car by switching to synthetic now vs. keeping it on dino?
Not looking to debate oil, hence "Does anyone have direct experience switching an early 944 to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 after 150K?", not "hey, should I switch to synthetic?"

Looking for firsthand knowledge with this oil in this scenario, not hearsay.

Thx.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BCN
Not looking to debate oil, hence "Does anyone have direct experience switching an early 944 to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 after 150K?", not "hey, should I switch to synthetic?"

Looking for firsthand knowledge with this oil in this scenario, not hearsay.

Thx.
Just my 2C, I have used Mobil 1 in the past, but my results were not what you could categorize as "favorable". I had ALOT of oil pressure bounce with the Mobil 1, replaced it with Swepco and the bounce went away, granted at $6.50 a quart the swepco isn't cheap. I would also recommend Joe Gibbs full synthetic, Red Line, or any other QUALITY racing oil. I change my oil every 3 weeks or so due to mileage, so I am always looking for a good source of Oil locally, but have resigned myself to keeping at least 1 change worth on the shelf, and using mostly Mail Order (Although I have found a local supplier who can get RedLine next day)...The tolerances in our motors require Quality oil to keep wear to a minimum, if you want to use the Mobile 1, try a Chevy ford or Honda, but I stay away from it due to my experience.

Like I said, just my 2C, but I am a nut about my cars to the extent I do not trust anyone else to work on them anymore.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:39 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

synthetic Vs. conventional oil ??

my 2 cents: it will get changed in 3k miles anyway so itll get disposed of anyway. that castrol oil commercial will scare you lol, i know it scared me a little bit despite it being just a dramatization LOL. but i use CASTROL HIGH MILEAGE. it has special stuff in it, according to the guy working at pep boys lol. but i dont really notice a difference in them but what do i know ?? .......... =D
Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

My 83 had 150K when I bought it and always ran dino before that. I continued using 20W-50 Castrol GTX and it never burned a drop. The way I look at it is if you change oil at 3K these cars will run forever...it won't be engine wear that takes it out. More likely a HG will blow from corrosion and poorly maintained coolant mixes or a bad TB. I stopped using Mobil 1 on my 951's when Exxon bought them and changed the formula several years ago. I use Valvoline VR-1 Racing now and like how well it works in our hot weather.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40