Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Wet Problems / brains

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Horido.
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944 Wet Problems / brains

Well I don't know if any of you have had this happen as it appears to be very weird, so here goes.

I had left the car for the first time parked at a downward angle in our very angled driveway, nose pointing down. It rained heavily overnight. When I went to start it the next morning, it would crank over, start on four than go to rough idle, unable to get it to come up in revs and then die. A second attempt would get it to crank, pop a few times, and quit. More attempts led to just cranking. I took the other car to work.

Weekend arrives and I go to start it...same thing, except this time, after it went to rough idle and died, it would not crank over; I just hear a barely audible whirring sound from the firewall, passenger side. No starter motor sound at all. So I reach over into the passenger compartment and the carpet is SOAKED!! Removing it showed a puddle, you guessed it, right up on against the brains.

I dried everything, air dried the brains inside the house for a few days, plugged them back in and still, not even a "how's your mother". My question is obvious.. WHAT HAPPENED??

Thanks,

Angel Figueras, D.D.S.
Glendale, CA
<a href="http://www.dentalairabrasion.com" target="_blank">www.dentalairabrasion.com</a>
Old 01-15-2003, 03:48 PM
bf95cab
Instructor

Lightbulb

You might have a clogged drain and/or corrosion where the battery box is. Leaves get stuck in there. That would fill it with water, and then it could leak in to the footwell.
Since things started up first time out, i'd wonder if you might have a clogged fuel line filter, maybe started by the funny angle you parked in, and then ran out the battery.
And of course you might have shorted out the brain, but i'm kinda thinkin against it.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Horido.
Cruisin'

Thanks. I did take care of the flood reason. The battery is still in fine shape as the lights work fine. I am having the brain checked out today but I am at a lost to figure out why the sudden no crank and whirring pump-like sound.

More news as it becomes available.

Thanks again.
Any other ideas??

Angel Figueras
Old 01-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Horrido:
[QB I did take care of the flood reason.
Angel Figueras[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Wha was it? Clogged battery box drain?
Old 01-15-2003, 08:08 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

You have a leak in the body seams under and around the battery. Most likely the seam in front of the battery where the flat area hits the fire wall. This may not be very apparent.

Get some brush on seam sealer and a wire brush. Take the battery out and clean the heck out of the area then wire brush the seam I mentioned. Coat the heck out of it with the seam sealer and let it set up. Reinstall the battery, reset the clock and the radio stations.

Some have found rusted through areas under the battery also. That's a bit more trouble than just the front seam.

There are two drains on the later model 944's. The obvious rubber flapper one and a slot between the battery and the fender toward the rear. The sun roof drain dumps into the battery area.

Quick Reply: 944 Wet Problems / brains