Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insulation install under auto shifter...help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 10:24 AM
Mikey Mason
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Insulation install under auto shifter...help!

I came to realize from hot air coming out from the auto trans shifter that there was not much insulation underneath.It appeared that half of it was gone.I ordered a new section from Porsche (75.00) and got it yesterday after waiting 3 weeks.My question is has anyone replaced theirs and how difficult is it?It appears it has to be done from the underside of the car with the shift cable and driveshaft removed to installed it properly.Can anyone give us a walkthru on this?THANKS in advance.This is actually called a sound absorber Porsche part number 944-182-01.

Michael
Old 06-27-2002, 03:37 PM
Mikey Mason
Racer

HELP PLEASE?..surely someone else has run into this!...any suggestions?

Michael
Old 06-27-2002, 07:00 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

jack the car up and just stuff it with a broom handle of something.

after i fixed my auto tranny cable, i didnt even put the stuff back. that isnt the cause of the heat.

i think all 944s have a hot center console due to the cat. make sure your cat heat shield is still in place. i recently painted the inside of my ashtray black, and it got so hot that the paint actually bubbles off. the foam doesnt do much.

SHAUN
Old 06-28-2002, 08:24 PM
Shawn944
Intermediate

Try to find a way to install it without removeing the driveshaft . The best way is to look under the car and try to fit it in place.
You might have to cut a slice in it or something . Be creative. Removeing the driveshaft is alot of work. You have to remove the transmission then the driveshaft and bellhousing assembly will come back a foot or so. You also have to rotate it 180 degrees to get it to slide backwards . The starter needs to be removed and the exhaust also. The rubber damper that bolts to the flywheel will need to be unbolted also . This needs to be done because of a small clip on the end of the driveshaft . This clip makes it impossible to remove the driveshaft without bellhousing as one unit.
I can give you more details if you like but trust me it is a royal PITA to remove the driveshaft

Shawn
87 944 auto

Quick Reply: Insulation install under auto shifter...help!