Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interest in "Turbo Cup" style Strut Tower Bar ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Nope, you aren't the only one..................I love mine and am grateful that Jim did that first run.

It's just the typical 944 crowd. Remember, this is the same crowd that thinks a timing belt is too expensive and difficult to deal with so they think it would be no problem and cheaper to invent a low-cost aftermarket timing chain to fix the problem instead.
If you only knew who you were talking about.

For a living I source fabricated parts. So I know the capabilities of many good fab shops. All I was trying to do was offer a cheaper alternative.

I don't understand the push back. I said I would be in for one at the proposed price. I have far more complex assemblies that I quote everyday for less.

I apologize if I offended anyone. Just thought I would lend a hand.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:33 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool

For a living I source fabricated parts. So I know the capabilities of many good fab shops. All I was trying to do was offer a cheaper alternative.

I don't understand the push back. I said I would be in for one at the proposed price. I have far more complex assemblies that I quote everyday for less.

I apologize if I offended anyone. Just thought I would lend a hand.
Mark, I don't think anyone was targeting you exactly. My comment was just a generalized opinion since so many people were mentioning that they thought this piece was overly priced for how simple it appears which is not the case as several have explained.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

My apologies.

I can see where some cost would come in the forming of the end boxes. I am just offering my assistance.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:04 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks pretty good oddjob. It's not for me, but I'll bet you get enough to make another run.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I wasn't speaking to you.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I wasn't speaking to you.
My apologies.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

From the looks of the pictures you have a .5" bar with 2 bends and some holes and a part that is cut in the flat with a little forming and welding.
Mark,

Bar is 10mm x 30mm (approx 3/8" x 1 3/16"). There are 4 bends (8" to 2'-6" radius) in the vertical plane w/ 5 straight sections, and 2 bends (3'-6" to 8'-0") in the horizontal plane with 3 straight sections.

I appreciate the offer, and will send a reply by PM.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibkevin
"You better have the car perfectly corner balanced and not make any changes otherwise your $crewed."

That is an outstanding point Eddie!
Please read my reply to that comment in post #15 - no offense, but its not an issue. You dont need adjustable legs on a rollcage if adjusting cornerbalance, this is no different.

Remember this a factory motorsport design - they did/do know a little bit about suspension. In addition to the single bar on the 200+ 951 Cups and Club Sports, the factory used triangulated braces and cage tubing out to the shock towers on various race versions of the 911 and 944 chassis - which is significantly stiffer. I am fairly certain all these cars were cornerbalanced quite often.
Attached Images   
Old 02-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Bar is 10mm x 30mm (approx 3/8" x 1 3/16"). There are 4 bends (8" to 2'-6" radius) in the vertical plane w/ 5 straight sections, and 2 bends (3'-6" to 8'-0") in the horizontal plane with 3 straight sections.
What grade steel are you using?

Can the bends in the horizontal be cut in the flat or are you bending it after it is cut out?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these still available? I'd like to get my hands on one... I can have it fitted when I do my zietronix O2 bung install at a local speed shop...
Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an fyi - if you are racing, welding new mounting points unto a race car pretty much bumps you out of stock and street prepped up into GT classes. In which case, you may as well just weld in a full triangulated strut bar setup, not this one.

While I don't dispute that the turbo cup bar definately helps - it is clearly not the pinnacle of engineering from Weissach. They were built as a cost effective upgrade to the low-cost 944 race cars. Once Porsche decided to actually put some effort into it, you can see the huge improvement that resulted in the 968 turbo strut bars - which is the sort of design you should want to spend your money on.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Are these still available? I'd like to get my hands on one... I can have it fitted when I do my zietronix O2 bung install at a local speed shop...
Sent a PM

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Just an fyi - if you are racing, welding new mounting points unto a race car pretty much bumps you out of stock and street prepped up into GT classes. In which case, you may as well just weld in a full triangulated strut bar setup, not this one.
The Cup bars have been allowed in PCA Stock Classes as the bar is still a bolt-in bar.

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
While I don't dispute that the turbo cup bar definately helps - it is clearly not the pinnacle of engineering from Weissach. They were built as a cost effective upgrade to the low-cost 944 race cars. Once Porsche decided to actually put some effort into it, you can see the huge improvement that resulted in the 968 turbo strut bars - which is the sort of design you should want to spend your money on.

It will take spending an awful lot of your money to get a factory carbon fiber 968 Turbo RS strut tower bar. I am sure it is much lighter, but I am not certain that it offers any additional structural rigidity vs the steel bar.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Eastep
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
if this would be a legal mod for SP3 I might be in depending on where the price ends up. I need to check with DD and my buddy who welds. Don't want the install cost > bar cost
I thought all production class cars could use things like that IFit was standard equipment on version of the same type production model example I could run a larger front sway bar on my 924S and run a rear swaybar because it was offered (just not on the S) oh rules, who doesnt luv em
Old 05-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know several 968 owners are scouring the world looking for one of these-I've seen only two in person. With a cab with somewhat stiffened suspension I had three stb's-my last one, a Dynatech, is nla as well-but combined with my Brey Kraus underbrace tighten things up well. Would I drop major $$ if I found the Porsche Motorsport brace-you betcha!
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:13 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The Cup bars have been allowed in PCA Stock Classes as the bar is still a bolt-in bar.
That's a pretty dubious allowance. It's bolt-in, but you have to weld in attatchment points. That's hardly class legal. In PCA it might not be contested, but in SCCA/NASA/everywhere else you'd get contested if anyone who knew anything saw it. Not that it really gives you an edge over a KLA, Weltmeister, or Dynatech bolt-in, which are legal and arguably more secure and less prone to flex. Pretty minor detail, but I'd hate to be bumped a class over something that stupid.

It will take spending an awful lot of your money to get a factory carbon fiber 968 Turbo RS strut tower bar. I am sure it is much lighter, but I am not certain that it offers any additional structural rigidity vs the steel bar.
I'm not saying that you have to get the factory TRS strut brace. What I'm saying is the Dynatech, Welt, KLA, etc braces are more similar to the Porsche Motorsport brace and are much easier to install, cheaper, and work better than the 944 turbo cup brace.

Quick Reply: Interest in "Turbo Cup" style Strut Tower Bar ?