Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 12:33 AM
BenzGuy72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944 transmission question

alright, i am looking at purchasing a mid 80's 944. i live in raleigh, nc. i've never owned a porsche, but i have owned MB's and an audi, so i know about german cars. i'm very mechanically inclined, and have preformed overhauls on engines and transmissions. i recently looked at and test drove an 86 porsche 944. it looked nice and seemed to be in good shape, but there was some noise in the transmisson... especially in 3rd and forth. it shifted smoothly, but there was also some vibration in 4th when i was under 2k and trying to accelerate. is this normal for a 944 transmission or do i have something to be concerned about. other than that the car seemed very strong mechanically. and i also had one for question. the cluch seemed like it took a lot of travel before it engaged(i had to let it out alot), is that normal for a 944 also or is it going to need replacing(the guy said it was replaced recently, but it just didn't feel tight)? i am completely new to porsches and to this site also. my brother totaled my mothers MB and she is wanting to buy my 97 audi a4 2.8Q, b/c it's an auto and too slow for me. so i figued it would be nice to get a 944. thanks,

Matt
Old 01-15-2003, 01:37 AM
OC Porsche
Racer

Hi ,

Welcome to Rennlist! As many of us have made this mistake......get a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable mechanic, one who knows the 944 and Porsche by trade. This can save you 10X what you could potentially pay in unknowns. For >100$ he can answer the clutch and tranny questions without hesitation after looking over the car.

That being said, the minimum rpm recommended is around 2k per the manual. Is a noise normal below that? Not really, unless it is because of the lack of torque needed to push 3rd and 4th under 2k. Typically I cruise around town at no less than around 2200, highway at about 3200 in 5th (yah I know I speed).

Next time you test drive, for normal driving try upshift at 3k&up and down at 2k-2200. For spirited driving try upshift at around 5k-5500 and down around 2500. This may tweak the owners nerves but how you gonna find out how the car goes without mashing the go pedal? Everyone's driving style is different, but IMO that car should probably never see under 2k unless in 1st.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:47 AM
BenzGuy72
Advanced

i had planned on taking it to a shop. but i was wanting to know if that's typical for a 944 from other owners. but it was making noise in 3rd and 4th in higher rpms too. i don't know what these transmissions are supposed to sound like.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:21 AM
OC Porsche
Racer

Not supposed to make too much noise at speed. You wanna hang under the car with a microphone so we can hear the sound?
Old 01-15-2003, 03:08 AM
BenzGuy72
Advanced

um... it was a gear whine, and somewhat a grinding type sound.... almost sounded like a straight cut gear transmission from the old days(like 50's)
Old 01-15-2003, 12:00 PM
art
Pro

My '86 does exactly the same thing. I bought it as a non-runner, so I didn't discover it until I resurrected the car. It has been a year, about 7K of driving and it seems to be getting only a little worse, but more noticeable in the lower gears. Car has about 100K, and it was bought from the original female owner so I don't think it beaten too hard.

I changed the oil and it made no difference. I am just now starting to take out the trans to search for the problem, so I can post when I find it. I am assuming it is one of the diff or pinion bearings, not the R&P itself as there were no shavings in the oil. The fact that it changes from gear to gear is s a bit wierd, though.

Good luck,

Art

Quick Reply: 944 transmission question