Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sources for caliper rebuild kits anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 04:17 PM
JLeake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sources for caliper rebuild kits anyone?

I intend to rebuild the calipers at all four wheels, but am having trouble locating rebuild kits. I just want the seals and dust boots...no need for new pistons (and the added expense). I've got an '86 951, so that's 16 sets of seals. I've searched and read talk of caliper rebuilds, but no details. Help me stop, please!
Old 01-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Bump... I need a set for the '87.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:04 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

I'm getting my rears done by Prospeed Motorsport. They also sell the kits.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:06 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jason,

We've looked into this a while back (making a rebuild kit). We found that Porsche didn't use just 1 caliper for the turbo's, etc. They may all look the same, but the seals will vary from car to car. IIRC, we found out that there were something like 16 different ones. This is probably why no one makes a kit. It would be an inventory/ordering nightmare.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:50 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by marksportcts:
<strong>I'm getting my rears done by Prospeed Motorsport. They also sell the kits.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I stand corrected.......
Old 01-14-2003, 09:12 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
<a href="http://prospeedmotorsport.com/index.htm" target="_blank">http://prospeedmotorsport.com/index.htm</a>
Old 01-15-2003, 12:31 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

why do you want to rebuild the calipers? Unless they are leaking or the pistons are stuck I would recommend not taking them apart. If the pads are dragging the problem might not be the pistons. I have seen several cases where there was corrosion build up under the shims that locate the pads. This squeezed the pads and would not let them retract. It also made it very difficult to remove the pads. The shims and new bolts are available from Porsche if this is your problem.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:12 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

I'm just having mine done to perfecty match the big reds. And should last another 20 years.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:52 AM
JLeake
Racer

Vertex has them for $159 a pair, including pistons (thanks Asahi).

MHT- The calipers are not leaking, and the pistons are not stuck. Since I bought my car, the brakes have been sub-standard. The car requires a lot of pedal force to stop quickly, I mean a lot. And yes, the booster is functioning. I can push the pedal to the floor with a fair amount of force (seems too easy). I bled the system with a friend and then had a shop do it before a DE (using Super Blue fluid). Made no difference. I went to the DE and the brakes were inconsistent. Halfway through the event, they got worse (pedal is now closer to the floor, making heal-toe downshifts difficult). I only heated them up really good once.

Anyway, I plan to attack this problem on multiple fronts. I am replacing the master cylinder with a new one, installing a 33/5 proportioning valve, replacing the flexible lines w/ SS, switching to metal master pads, turning the rotors, and of course bleeding the system w/ Super Blue fluid. In addition to this I was considering rebuilding the calipers, provided the kits weren't too expensive. After pricing them, I think I'll leave the calipers alone and just see how the above changes affect my stopping power.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:59 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was able to find the rebuild kits at my local parts store for around $20 each. I was surprised to find them there, but I did. This was an Autozone. <a href="http://www.autozone.com," target="_blank">www.autozone.com,</a> they have them online aswell.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:25 AM
JLeake
Racer

por951turbo-

Thanks for the information. I found them on the autozone website, but there is little information. Does one $20 kit do one piston, or one caliper (4 pistons)?
Old 01-15-2003, 02:55 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by jleake:
<strong>por951turbo-

Thanks for the information. I found them on the autozone website, but there is little information. Does one $20 kit do one piston, or one caliper (4 pistons)?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">My understanding was that it was per caliper when I talked to the guy.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:35 PM
tecart
Pro

does this 20 dollar kit really fit and work for both the front and rear calipers on a 1986 944 turbo? it lists them as rears? is that because the rears are all the same but the fronts are all different makes/sizes, please someone let us know the full details about the autozone kit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I have been informed that Paragon also stocks them. Call to order, it is not on the site.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:27 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by tecart:
<strong>does this 20 dollar kit really fit and work for both the front and rear calipers on a 1986 944 turbo? it lists them as rears? is that because the rears are all the same but the fronts are all different makes/sizes, please someone let us know the full details about the autozone kit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I don't know why it's differant for an 86 but, for my 88 they had a part# for both the front and rear on the web site. I just thought it was cheap enough for me to take the chance. That and they're right next door to me if I needed to return the part.

Quick Reply: Sources for caliper rebuild kits anyone?