Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

muffler tail pipe cracking - cheap fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bolts and gaskets. i can get the gaskets from pelican or paragon (which do i need? just the manifold and middle flange one?) and the bolts from the hardware store perhaps?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Operator
PM sent sml, but after sending it I found a closer one on ebay which im looking into...
does anyone know if an S2 muffler fits on an S?
S2 cat-back bolts right on the S. I ran a borrowed S2 cat-back on my S for a while while I waited for my dansk. S2 sounded a little deeper (nicer) than stock S, dansk is great quality and sounds like stock. Definitely grab that S2 cat back.

Originally Posted by schwank
AFAIK all 944 mufflers are the same.
Naw, S/S2 muffler's are different. They have the premuffler/resonator...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Usually I tell people to buy bolts from the hardware store, but when it comes to exhaust bolts, the Porsche factory bolts are really high quality, and in the mild california climate, the original bolts are still working perfectly and I've opened/closed them many times. I have not tried new hardware-store bolts on an exhaust so I couldn't tell you how they will fare, but the factory exhaust bolts get a big .

As for gaskets, you'll need two of the header-to-catpipe gaskets, and one of the cat-to-catback gaskets. I believe that cat-to-catback gasket is a fat metal ring as opposed to a thin thing.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gtroth: thanks for the info... i know i asked you this years ago but where in CT are you again? i still have that crazy idle-stumble problem after all these years and retracking my afm arm... oh well... i just gave up on it since it doesnt happen too often

frp: theres 3 bolts that hold the cat to catback flange together according to pelican and they're $6.25 each! dang! maybe mine will be reusable...

the exhaust sealing ring is $9.. i cant seem to figure out which header-to-cat gaskets ill need.. hmm

Quick Reply: muffler tail pipe cracking - cheap fix?