Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To diagnose and fix a front-of-engine oil leak, do you attack from above...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009 | 05:20 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Default To diagnose and fix a front-of-engine oil leak, do you attack from above...

... or below? It's buried pretty deep on the front-right side of the engine, and I can't diagnose without some disassembly. Is the best bet from above, or below?

If I follow Clarks Garage procedure for oil cooler service, it says attack from below.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/lube-01.htm
Old 02-02-2009 | 06:06 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

If it's the oil cooler it is better to get at it from below (at least in S2's)
Old 02-02-2009 | 06:46 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by smlporsche
If it's the oil cooler it is better to get at it from below (at least in S2's)
Thx. Unfortunately, I won't know what it is until I get to it!
Old 02-02-2009 | 10:18 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got one in a similar spot, I'll be interested to know what you conclude. I was going to start by cleaning up the engine bay as thoroughly as I can and then watching it over the next few days to see if I can isolate the source. Oh, and crossing my fingers and toes and sacrificing a few (rubber) chickens to the Porsche oil leak gods...
Old 02-02-2009 | 10:27 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

You can attack it from below, but remember how much oil blows around with the fans and just with driving. If you really have a gusher, I'd suggest cleaning the engine as well as you can, and then running the car in the driveway until it leaks some more. That way you will have a better idea of where you're looking.

If it's the front right side, it's probably your oprv, pressure sender, or, if you're lucky, a bad o-ring on the oil filter.

If you can't get thins clean enough or need more help finding it, this stuff is very helpful: http://www.tracerline.com/

...or anything like it. Most big parts houses will have some small penlight/flashlight and a bottle of dye for each type of fluid on hand at least, and you'll probably get all you need for under $20.
Old 02-02-2009 | 11:50 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Start with a through engine/bay cleaning, it's much more enjoyable to wrench on a clean engine. I use the $3 a can stuff <nothing fancy>, spray it on at the car wash and blast away. Use the usual blasting precautions.

Then look for leaks like Greg mentioned.

Quick Reply: To diagnose and fix a front-of-engine oil leak, do you attack from above...