Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to get done to my head while its off...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003 | 03:59 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Post What to get done to my head while its off...

I've been calling every machine shop in my area, asking for prices for a basic rebuild of my head with a valve job, clean up, and decking if necessary, and I've gotten prices from $250 to $800 for the same stuff. The price range for these places varies widely, and I suppose it might be because of what they think should be done to the head. I just want to know what exactly I should ask for when asking for prices, and if I should get any performance stuff while the head is off (like a 5 angle grind, etc.). I've never had a head off a car, so excuse my ignorance to the lingo of the trade.

One funny thing is that I called one shop, and the lady on the phone was trying to get me to rebuild my entire motor! I'm not going to get my motor rebuilt at a place called "ritchie automotive"...hell no. Alright...thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2003 | 05:07 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Our heads are pretty basic for the most part so do shop around and get a good price/find someone with experience.

While mine was in there I had it decked slightly to make sure the sealing surface was flat and added new valve seals. That's about it really. You could also have your head O-ringed if you are concerned about blowing another head gasket. Some people also port the intake a bit. I wouldn't go the porting route though...mostly becaues the exhaust ports are lined with ceramic and to do it right is expensive.
Old 07-13-2003 | 09:20 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Check out any local racing forums/clubs and see where they have their stuff done. Valve job (3-angle, I think that's standard) for a 4.2 6-cyl 12-valve Jeep head is $250, for what it's worth.

Porsche clubs might know some stuff, you might also want to check out some local offroad forums. Those guys swap engines in and out all day. They'll surely point you to a capable machinist.They should prime it, too...Then you can paint the bastard...
Old 07-13-2003 | 09:28 PM
mrmunky
Pro

When my t-belt let go, i got a pretty thorough valve job for $500.
Old 07-13-2003 | 09:29 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd snoop around and see what place you get the right vibe from. My Scorpion head is being rebuilt right now at a place right down the street from me in Weymouth MA - Custom Automotive. I go there and there are about 20 v8's on engine stands, CLEAN shop, and get a good vibe from the guy. He tells me to drop off the rest of the stuff along with valve tolerences. I do, and the next day he tells me that the head is in great shape (it cleaned up BEAUTIFULLY .. looked new) guides are good, I need to get him new seals, hands me an exhaust valve - tells me it didn't seat properly and to order a new one! I just got everything in yesterday, and going to give them to him tomorrow. He had told me "it'll be about $500" for the complete rebuild .. but since it didn't need guides it'll probably be half that since that's where all the work is. We'll see if he cuts the price or not. I will go back there for everything, rest assured, if he does.

Quick Reply: What to get done to my head while its off...