Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WAY OT: got a formula for .45ACP reloading?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 07:48 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by ecpunk:
<strong>

I know i'm in the military and everything, but I haven't even held a gun in 2 years. Being from tennessee and all, i sort of miss the fun of target shooting. Maybe again... someday. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I seriously doubt that this info will do you any good at all, due to the extreme differences in circumstances, but... in the USN 30+ years ago, we were allowed to keep our own personally owned weapons in the ship's small arms locker.

I didn't own a gun at the time, but I think the guys who took advantage of this were allowed to shoot off of the fantail on days when our boarding and landing parties had famialiarization / target practice. At least I recall seeing some non-issue weapons being fired while we popped away at floating garbage with .45 ACP's, M-1's, Thompson's, and BAR's (USN gets the Marine's previous-generation hand-me-down small arms, so I got to shoot all the WWII goodies ). Yes, the Thompson & BAR are every bit as bad-*** as the movies make 'em look, but I'd hate to have to hump a BAR & ammo any distance. That would be real man's work! Never even saw an M-14 or M-16 until after I was out.

We also eventually got a couple of .50's (ye olde ma deuce, WW II again) for mounting on the bridge railing; somebody apparently realized that our 4 twin-mount 3"-50 AA/DP's (also WW II vintage) might be overkill in some situations.

Anyway, check with your base armory... maybe there's a deal you aren't aware of???

Jim, "The Navy. It's not just an adventure; it's a f*skin' job!"
Old 12-28-2002, 08:12 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Ken.

Grip is a difficult thing as it varies from person to person. Personally (trying to deescribe it) Put your thumb on top of the safety. You have a kimber so it should have the extended safety which makes it easier. The web of you thumb should be painfully against the beavertail. For a two hand stance wrap your non-shooting hand against around your lower fingers (Which should be wrapped tightly around the grip) with the thumb against the frame touching the slide.

If both hands are straight (elbows locked) your thumb will be on the safety, if not your non-shooting hand it should be just forward.

However, if starting you should use the Marine Corps stance. Same as abovebut with your non shooting hand in your pants pocket. Once you have the other techniques down (inhale, half breath out, hold, take up trigger and squeeze slowly) experiment with two handed grips. The checkering may have been uncomfortable, but it is actually a good thing. Good shooting stances are seldom comfortable.

Manix, Manning whatever...

Got the info for you.

.45 230gr TMJ 5.6 to 6.0 grain of Hodgdon "Tight Group"

.38 Super 124gr TMJ 4.8 to 5.3 Hodgdon "Tight Group

You will see a big improvement with the Hodgden.

The Russian lead free primer will make a big difference, specially if you want to re-claim brass. Allot less cleaning when combined with the Hodgdon.

Jim

The Bar AND the Thompson are both a bitch to lug around. The M-60 even more so, but I tried to make sure I had the 60 every chance I got. The M-16 also can't hold a light to the M-14.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:01 AM
MCNETT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use a 200gr Berry's FMJ over 6.0gr Bullseye and an overall Length 1.2" = 956fps and very accurate.
Or: 230 FMJ 1.26" OAL 5.3gr Bullseye = 850fps and very accurate.
-Mike

PS- If you are interested in learning about the 10mm, I would suggest looking at glocktalk.com
I am a moderator there and help out with 10mm Q&A.

Quick Reply: WAY OT: got a formula for .45ACP reloading?