Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost Enhanced...few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 03:57 AM
oi-punx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boost Enhanced...few questions

I just picked up a Lindsey boost enhancer for my otherwise stock ‘87 951 as my first modification. I did quite a bit of research on this mod (which is great by the way). There is a wealth of information on this board. After the installation I am left with a few questions which I can’t seem to find the answers for. Any information or advice from users of this valve would be much appreciated.

1. Before the mod my car was boosting to 1.65 bar at WOT about 4k RPM. I checked my blow off valve, vacuum connections and all hose clamps and could find nothing. According to the info I’ve read the valve is not supposed to increase boost, yet my stock gauge is now reading 1.8 bar at just above 3k RPM. I am assuming this means my stock wastegate is leaking boost prematurely and the enhancer is just delaying it. Is this correct?

2. I picked up the device used and it was told it was not changed from the 10 PSI factory setting. Lindsey racing claims the factory setting shows "6 or 7 threads" on the housing. I am showing 5 threads. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the factory setting? I show no marks or scratches of any kind on either the housing or the locknut to indicate it was changed but am paranoid about overboosting.

3. I have read nothing regarding the long-term reliability of the device. Common sense dictates that if max boost comes on earlier one would theoretically run max boost more often, leading to more heat and more wear and tear on the motor. Is my logic correct or should I just drive the damn car and not worry about it?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-26-2002, 05:30 AM
Gary
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by oi-punx:
<strong>I just picked up a Lindsey boost enhancer for my otherwise stock ‘87 951 as my first modification. I did quite a bit of research on this mod (which is great by the way). There is a wealth of information on this board. After the installation I am left with a few questions which I can’t seem to find the answers for. Any information or advice from users of this valve would be much appreciated.

1. Before the mod my car was boosting to 1.65 bar at WOT about 4k RPM. I checked my blow off valve, vacuum connections and all hose clamps and could find nothing. According to the info I’ve read the valve is not supposed to increase boost, yet my stock gauge is now reading 1.8 bar at just above 3k RPM. I am assuming this means my stock wastegate is leaking boost prematurely and the enhancer is just delaying it. Is this correct?

2. I picked up the device used and it was told it was not changed from the 10 PSI factory setting. Lindsey racing claims the factory setting shows "6 or 7 threads" on the housing. I am showing 5 threads. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the factory setting? I show no marks or scratches of any kind on either the housing or the locknut to indicate it was changed but am paranoid about overboosting.

3. I have read nothing regarding the long-term reliability of the device. Common sense dictates that if max boost comes on earlier one would theoretically run max boost more often, leading to more heat and more wear and tear on the motor. Is my logic correct or should I just drive the damn car and not worry about it?

Thanks in advance</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have the LBE and it works as advertised, as I suspect, yours is. 1.8 on the gauge is fine - with all stock components, the car can easily handle a little more boost (up to around 2 bar or 14-16 psi) provided you have the chips to support the additional fuel needed.

What the enhancer is doing is preventing the air from getting to the wastegate (via the cycling vavle) until sufficient pressure is reached (in your case, 10psi). It will spike a little (I guess 1.8 or 1.9 for you) due to the time it takes for the LBE to open, the cycling valve to understand and allow the pressure to the wastegate and then the wastegate to open to discharge the pressure.

The cycling valve and wastegate start bleeding pressure quite early on in the process hence the slightly lower (and smoother engagement of) boost you had before. The LBE holds it until preset pressure (which explains why you have higher boost lower down).

5 threads seems about the average I've read on here. With my chips, I run a slightly higher pressure (2bar on the stock gauge - haven't reinstalled my VDO boost gauge since uninstalling it last year for cosmetic reasons).

When you start hitting 2bar or slightly more on the stock gauge, start being concerned if you don't have chips. Also, if you are running at 2bar or fractionally over, get an accurate boost gauge - the stock one is not accurate at these levels.

As you said, just drive the damn car and don't worry about it -at your current boost level-

Quick Reply: Boost Enhanced...few questions