Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major head ovehaul, My car WAS a LEMON - Now Rings, Update on Pg 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 03:15 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have the valve seals and guides replaced so you don't have to touch the head again for another 100k miles.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:35 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing against Japanese cars...they work! Different animal though.

Your analysis is scary though. Shows how impractical it is to own a Porsche! Imagine the fun of paying for a brand new S2 back in the day ($40k), and THEN getting stuck with all the repair bills after the warranty is up! THAT would suck.

You had a bad example unfortunately. Like you said, if you bought a different car, things might have worked out better cost-wise.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom, sorry to hear about the issues, I'll be packaging the seats tonight.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts
G96,
I'm pretty sure the seals and guides were in the original $2200 job. just checked my scribbling. it is.

So now in a nutshell it is a head rebuild, cam chain & tensioner, tune up, hoses - coolant & heater, belts & water pump (rollers have 15k), motor mounts, oil pan gasket & rod bearings.

I am sticking with dino oil.

Stephen,
Thanks. Psyched for some lumbar support! had i known it was gonna be this big of a job, i might have been tempted to drive it to your dads shop and leave it there for a few weeks.

Andy,
It is a combination of two lousy mechanics. the first one cut corners on the first head gasket job, and the second cut corners when he drained the coolant which caused the ps pullley to cut the hose hence the car overheated.

remember the car started up every time, and ran great.

I should get a little more power with the boost in compression when this is done. psyched for the extra 2 hp!
Old 06-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your car is going to be great when you get it back. Lets hope this mechanic is better then the others!
Old 06-13-2003, 04:26 PM
smokey
Pro

The only way to own a Porsche:
-Always make progress payments on a repair, so each payment is less painful.
-Never add up all the progress payments on a repair.
-Never ever ever ever add up all your bills from the time you bought the car.

This has worked for me, and my costs have been very reasonable. I think.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:36 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing against Japanese cars...they work! Different animal though.

Your analysis is scary though. Shows how impractical it is to own a Porsche! Imagine the fun of paying for a brand new S2 back in the day ($40k), and THEN getting stuck with all the repair bills after the warranty is up! THAT would suck.

You had a bad example unfortunately. Like you said, if you bought a different car, things might have worked out better cost-wise.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Tom

Sorry about the luck with the mechs, hope this one does a better job. Best not to add up all the expenses, at least that is what I do....

Cheers,
Old 06-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Lee Zook
Instructor

Tom,
Sorry to hear of your bad fortune with your S2. I thought AndyK's discussion on maintenance was interesting, however not always true. The 1st Porsche I bought was the 88 924S. It had around 44K original miles and the PO had just completed approx $2500 in maintanence. Bought it for slightly less than $5k in 1999. I have put about $600 into for maintenance wile driving it about 17K miles. Biggie was recharging the A/C system last year.
The 951 is an 86 that I got for $3700 in December. I have probable spent about $1200 - $1500 on maintanence getting it up to what I consider acceptable/reliable. We will see how much more $ it consumes as I work to resolve cosmetic issues.
Lee
Old 06-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Lee Zook
Instructor

An I forgot to my previous post. Low maintenance costs are due to doing almost all the work my self. Since I have several cars to choose from (about 6 right now - anyone want to buy a turbo Volvo?) having one down doing the work on it is not an issue. However, what usually happens is that all the cars (except wife"s) usually have problems at the same time and I scramble to get one on the road.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:46 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by AndyK:
<strong>Your analysis is scary though. Shows how impractical it is to own a Porsche! Imagine the fun of paying for a brand new S2 back in the day ($40k), and THEN getting stuck with all the repair bills after the warranty is up! THAT would suck.

You had a bad example unfortunately. Like you said, if you bought a different car, things might have worked out better cost-wise.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I wonder if there is a correlation between the longevity of a car and the day it (or its major components) were built on.

Or if it correlates to the behavior of the 1st owner during the break-in period, or how the car was treated overall.

Or if it correlates to the environment where the car was operated.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:01 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts
Talking

UPDATE Monday 6/16

I spoke with the shop owner today. the head is warped, which i am not surprised to hear.

The good news. there is enough meat to machine the head and the rolac grinding didnt go deep enough to be a problem.

total for the parts including motor mounts is about 1700 (i got the motor mounts and tune up parts from sunset using two PCNA coupons).

i should have it back at the end of the week. keep ya posted tomorrow night.

firewall at work started working. damn! now i have to go to lunch during my lunch hour.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom, You've got mail!
Old 06-17-2003, 01:58 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by AndyK:
<strong>Ah Hah!! The S2 is more of a PITA to maintain than a regular 8-valve? I thought it was just a matter of tensioner replacement?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Keep dreaming man. My dads 84 944 has qiute the engine issue compared to the S2. The S2 in my opinion is the most reliable 944 ever build. Besides how often did the previous owner of toms car get it maintained?? Who is it on here that has an S2 with 300,000miles on it? I have seen the post months ago. That is one TIGHT car.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:45 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 944S2NUT:
<strong> Who is it on here that has an S2 with 300,000miles on it? I have seen the post months ago.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Former Rennlister "deepice" had an S2 with reportedly "over 300K miles" on the original engine. IIRC, the car ran fine, but he wanted to track it and was in the process of taking it apart to freshen the engine when he moved and was forced to sell the car.

Aside from the timing belt issues typical of all 944 engines and the 16V engine cam chain tensioner, IMHO the S2 has the most reliable 944 engine.

My '83 has 202K miles, has been properly maintained and runs nicely, but its engine simply pales in comparison to the 3.0 liter DOHC in the S2.

Keep in mind also that the S2 came near the end of 944 production and the build quality improved dramatically (along with MSRP), so lots of the issues I've had to fix in the '83 have been nonexistent in the S2, e.g. waterpump update, motor mounts, etc.

Quick Reply: Major head ovehaul, My car WAS a LEMON - Now Rings, Update on Pg 2