Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help selecting a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 07:01 PM
JLeake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some help selecting a helmet

Wow helmets are expensive. Please save the 'how expensive is your head' sermon because I have done a search and read previous posts on the subject. Those convinced me that getting a used helmet off of ebay was a bad, bad idea. My question is what rating is required for EACH of the following activities which I may one day participate in?

autocross
DE event
cart racing

And what is the difference between Snell 2000 and Snell SA2000? The fire-resistant lining, right? What it boils down to is the least expensive SA2000 helmets I have found (by reputable manufacturers) go for $240. I found this Snell 2000 rated helmet <a href="http://www.rciracing.com/page3.htm" target="_blank">RCI 3005W helmet</a> for $140, and want to know if that is sufficient. If it will cut it for auot-x and DE events then I'm sold...but there is a chance I'll get into cart racing at some point in my life. TIA
Old 06-25-2002, 07:30 PM
cbottone
Track Day

Best advice I can give is try the helmets on for fit. Each manufacturer seems to go with a slightly different shape.

You're correct about the Snell M2000 and SA2000.
For Karting you're OK with an M2000 (but must be full face w/ shield).
For DE you risk failing Tech inspection with some clubs unless you have an SA rated helmet.
For Autocross it would be rare to fail tech because you have an M2000, but still possible with the 'right' club.
My advice - go with an SA2000 full face with face shield. Try on helmets from various manufacturers to determine the one that fits the best. Once you know make, model, and size you can shop around online/catalog for the best pricing.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:39 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snell foundation does the ratings.
SA is for auto racing, M is for motorcycle.
2000 is the current year of the rating, it comes out every 5 years.

A Snell SA 2000 helmet SHOULD be good for any of your uses until (for most sanctioning organizations) 2010. A Snell SA 1995, if you find one will be OK most places until 2005.
A Snell M 2000 Helmet will be OK for most autocrosses and many DE events, I have no idea what cart racing requires. Check with the orgs/clubs that do these things in your area. PCA-NNJR will allow an M helmet for both autox and DE, IIRC, YMMV.
A decent Snell M 2000 helmet should start around $100, I got my M 1995 helmet 2 years ago for around $80, figuring I'd start out with it and if I stick with (these events) my next helmet will be an SA 2005. If not, I don't have a $300 helmet collecting dust.
Helmet manufacturers must request/apply/purchase that Snell test their helmet for the rating of the manufacturers choice. That is, the company gives the Snell people a few helmets, a check and tells them what rating they want to be tested for. Most of the tests required for M and SA are the same. Bell could submit a helmet model for M testing, and the same helmet with a fire retardant liner for SA testing and pass both batteries of tests with the same helmet.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:14 AM
kellyk
Instructor

Make sure that you are getting a automobile helmet and not a motorcycle one. Even though the Snell rating may be OK, our club will not pass tech on a motorcycle helmet.

Simpson has a nice full-face without nomex for about $265.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good description of the helmets, Dave.

A good source for helmets is: <a href="http://www.racerwholesale.com." target="_blank">www.racerwholesale.com.</a>
They have a G-Force SA2000 full face helmet for $249.00, and a G-Force SA2000 open face helmet for $149.99. Not bad prices: G-Force is not as big as Bell, Simpson...etc, but IMO, they offer the same protection. I don't have first hand experience with their helmets, but I have a G-Force harness setup in my car.
Racerwholesale also carries Bell, and I believe Simpson.

-Zoltan.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:16 PM
Mr. Z.
Instructor

speaking of helmets. I just tried on an HJC in a large, and it fit me fine, anythign smaller was too tight. i don't have many helmet places near me. do u guys think it would be wise to order a large from the net sine i can't really try them on? thanks

Quick Reply: Need some help selecting a helmet