Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the Radiator??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 08:58 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Post Replacing the Radiator??

Well I have had my car all of, well 4 days now, and I have my first repair project to do, I forgot how much fun this is (actually I don't mind, you get what you pay for).

But the first project is to replace the radiator is leaking out the front quite a bit when it gets hot, so does anyone have any pearls of wisdom related to this little repair? And any suggestions on where to get the parts?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:55 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a good price from Paragon. I think I paid $235 or so for a Kuhler or something like that. They are the OEM, my mechanic said he'd tried another brand but had failures.

I got new hoses too, makes sense while you're in there.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:05 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the radiator for my last 951 from (don't laugh, just ponder) Vertex. Yes, Vertex. I got it, and did the whole job in about 5 to 7 hours (took long breaks for food, and was generally very cautious about my first project without my mechanic father around). Anyway, BLEED THE SYSTEM when it's back together. Boy did I have a problem with that! (started car up, it got really hot, and start smoking, took awhile for me to figure that one out).

Other than that, the radiator comes out the BOTTOM. Pretty straight forward. If you have any questions, I remember the process.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:21 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I got my radiator from Vertex. If you can, look for their advertisement in Panorama. They often have a price in Pano that is even better than their regular price. I think I paid $180 for my radiator ('86 na w/5spd). I installed myself about 10,000 miles ago and it has been fine.

I used the Haynes manual as my reference. The Haynes manual has its shortcomings, but it was worth every bit of the $14 I paid for it many times over. The biggest pain in the butt for me was trying to find the drain plug for the block. I decided I wanted to drain all the coolant and start fresh. With the car up on jack stands, I was able to find the plug with my hand but could never actually see it. It was a bitch getting the plug out and then back in. Perhaps if I had a better set of wrenches it would have been easier.

The job took me about five hours, taking my time. That includes putting the car up on jack stands and spending probably half an hour looking for that drain plug.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:22 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paragon. One thing Ian,,there were some recent radiators that missed the top right plug being drilled out after the side tanks were cast. Put a hose in your new radiator and make sure water flows out all of the holes.

Also have a small pry bar to snap the bottom support out and in. That could really have been designed better by Porsche.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:17 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The job is not that difficult..be sure to order new radiator mounts as well. They are little rubber grommet looking things that get dry and brittle over time.
Real straightforward procedure. Haynes is a good guide. Bleed system thoroughly when done.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:37 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks all

I'll have some time to get these things done, I'm pulling the insurance on the car for the next few months, maybe less if I get a lot of the issues worked out.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Radiator??