Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 owner just bought a 968

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:23 AM
Todd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post S2 owner just bought a 968

Gentlemen,
I have frequented the rennlist for the past two years since the purchase of my 91 S2 cab. You all, particularly Tom Pultz and Jim Griffin, have helped me upgrade my S2 to an incredibly enjoyable car (horay for the Internet!). I have now taken the plunge and purchased a 968 cab.

The 968 needs a new clutch and I am planning on supercharging this car.

1. What clutch kit should I buy to handle the additional power yet retain the car's daily driver manners? I bought the Sachs performance clutch for the S2 and it performs well but lacks the "feel" of the rubber centered clutch. I am not opposed to going this route again but I thought there may be a better one out there.

Is this the time to add LSD?

Which LSD unit do you all recommend?

I will add the M030 sway bars which I have on the S2 (big improvement combined with bilstein shocks) but what other recommended suspension enhancements would you all recommend to make this car handle like it's on rails?

I also purchased a chip for the S2 from Steve on the Rennlist. It was awesome fro drivability and lowend grunt. Is there a recommended chip maker for low end torque and drivability? (I have read all the negative stuff already)

Brakes for the miney what upgrade kit makes the most sense?

I have the 17" wheels and will probably buy aftermarket ones that look similar. I have the 17" cup wheels on the S2 and I think they are perfect looking. Are there lighter 17" aftermarket cup wheels on the market?

Lastly, the 968 has the 231 option code what is this?
I can't find it listed on any options code sites.

Sorry for so many questions but if you can help where you can it will be very helpful.

Best,
Todd
1991 S2 Cab Triple black 73K
1992 968 Cab Amazon Green/Black/Grey 36K
Old 06-25-2002, 03:07 AM
kellyk
Instructor

Don't know the part number but the first clutch I installed on my 968/951 was a 911 SuperCup model. I worked very well with the high HP and truthfully I could hardly tell is wasn't a 'street' clutch.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:28 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Todd,

My car is being SuperCharged by SFR (Speed Force Racing) as we speak. I too have a 968 Cab and I have or am in the midst of tackling all of the upgrades you have mentioned. You are going to have a blast building your car. 968.net will be your biggsest asset the forums over there is pretty active too. I will answer your questions when I get into the office.

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BABY!!!

Eric
Old 06-25-2002, 04:18 PM
Todd
Advanced

Thanks Kelly and Eric,

I will look into the 911 super cup clutch and I would love to here how the Supercharger turns out. I have spoken to Tim on many occations now about purchasing his kit but I am waiting on an answer to retaining my a/c.

Please give me any suggestions you may have and I will post on 968.net

Gracias,
Todd
Old 06-25-2002, 08:04 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Todd:
The 968 needs a new clutch and I am planning on supercharging this car.

1. What clutch kit should I buy to handle the additional power yet retain the car's daily driver manners?<hr></blockquote>Price no object you might consider the single mass aluminum flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate kit sold by <a href="http://www.prospeedmotorsport.com" target="_blank">Prospeed Motorsport</a>. The main reservation I would have about this setup is the potential for added noise from the lightweight flywheel. The 968, like the 944S2, is very sensitive to driveline vibrations. Talk to Michael at Prospeed and get him to GUARANTEE you won't suffer from added noise or he'll pay to replace the assembly... I know... fat chance of that happening

Sachs also sells a high performance pressure plate with higher clamping force. This can be purchased from <a href="http://www.paragon-products.com" target="_blank">Paragon Products</a>

[quote]Is this the time to add LSD? Which LSD unit do you all recommend?<hr></blockquote>Some type of LSD would definitely be beneficial, and absolutely mandatory with a supercharger kit. You have a lot of choices with the 968. You can use a stock factory clutch type LSD or Torsen torque biasing unit, or you can fit an aftermarket Quaife or Guard transmission torque sensing unit, or a Guard Transmission billet clutch type LSD, or any factory unit from a G50 911 trans. For pure street use the torque biasing units are quieter and work very well. I have one in my S2.
[quote]I will add the M030 sway bars which I have on the S2 (big improvement combined with bilstein shocks) but what other recommended suspension enhancements would you all recommend to make this car handle like it's on rails?<hr></blockquote>I think you need to establish a budget and an intended use before deciding what components to fit. Do you want to totally kill the ride of the cabriolet at the expense of absolute handling? If so, then go with stiffer springs, shocks, and torsion bars in addition to the sway bars. If you want something better but still maintain a decent ride the Koni yellow shocks would be a good compliment to the sway bars.
[quote]Is there a recommended chip maker for low end torque and drivability?<hr></blockquote>Steve Russakov also has chips for the 968, but if you are going to supercharge it would be a waste of money.
[quote]Brakes for the miney what upgrade kit makes the most sense?<hr></blockquote>Stock brakes with upgraded pads make the most sense for the money.

[quote]I have the 17" wheels and will probably buy aftermarket ones that look similar. I have the 17" cup wheels on the S2 and I think they are perfect looking. Are there lighter 17" aftermarket cup wheels on the market?<hr></blockquote>Any aftermarket "cup" wheels will be heavier than the factory parts unless they are a 3-piece lightweight design. As long as you are going to change wheels you might as well go all-out and fit 18s with either 265 or 285 tires in the rear to handle the supercharged power. You did say you wanted the car to handle like it's on rails
Old 06-25-2002, 09:05 PM
Todd
Advanced

Tom, Thank you once again!

The koni yellows are the way I will go to compliment the sway bars.

I will probably go with Sachs again although the feel is not as nice as the stock clutch for me on my S2.

I guess I will go with the Torsen torque biasing unit. If I have the dreaded pinion bearing problem which I will find out shortly, will the rebuild here change your suggestion on the LSD unit? If the bearings are repalced is there anything else I can do while I'm in there to handle the supercharger's power?

Which break pads do you recommend? I have used the pagid orange on my S2 and they are embarrassingly loud and dusty.

Todd

Quick Reply: S2 owner just bought a 968