Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on 944S fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
jstand22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on 944S fuel rail

So I have another leaking fuel line (see first and second pictures circled in red).
Now I've been talking to Sunset and apparently there are 2 different style fuel rails for the 16V cars. Sunset is pretty sure I have the early style. I'm pretty sure I have the late.

I have included two pages from PET the first shows the early style rail, while the second shows the later rail.

Here's is why I think I have the later rail:

In the diagram of the older rail look at hose 4 (944 110 384 00) note where it attaches to the fuel rail. The attachment on rail makes a 90 degree turn, and hose 4" is straight.

In the diagram of the new style rail note where the new "hose 4" (944 110 384 03) connects. The connection from the fuel rail is straight, point to the front of the engine, and it is "hose 4" that makes the bend.

Now look at the picture of my fuel rail. You can see where "hose 4" connects (circled in yellow). The piece that connects "hose 4" to my fuel rail is straight, just like the style of the later rail. Also my "hose 4" bends like the later style, not like the straight early style.

Now if I do have the late rail "hose 6" is what I need, and in PET it shows fittings, but mine does not have fittings.

Anyone have pictures of their 16V fuel rail? S or S2. What do you guys think?
Attached Images     
Old 12-31-2008, 12:54 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let me go snap a pic, but it looks to me like where it connects to the fuel rail, it doesnt have a 90 on it but it just kinda bends a little
Old 12-31-2008, 12:56 PM
jstand22
Pro

Originally Posted by dv8nxs944
let me go snap a pic, but it looks to me like where it connects to the fuel rail, it doesnt have a 90 on it but it just kinda bends a little
Thanks, a picture would be great....The bend in question is the yellow circle, not red. The early rail is supposed to have a 90 degree bend, while the later rail doesn't.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

I have an 87 as well
Attached Images    
Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

and also, my support (#7) is of the early style not later
Old 12-31-2008, 03:34 PM
jstand22
Pro

Dv, thanks for the pics!

Now does anyone have a picture of the exact same area on an S2?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Jay,
Not sure this will help you but I bought a hose for my S from a dealer and it had the threaded fitting on both ends, but my hoses are like yours I think (1988). Someone then told me I would have to buy the entire rail to get new lines. Mine weren't leaking at the time, was just replacing all the fuel lines as preventive at 70K miles (and after photos of 944 engine fires were posted somewhere. Here??) so I didn't do anything on that end of the rail.
FWIW I was at a Advance Auto parts place this past year buying a length of bulk fuel hose for a Mazda and the counter guy asks me "which type hose ?". I says "fuel injection?". He says "there are two types FI hose, soft/flexible hose that you use a clamp on, and the rigid type hose you have to put in hot water (boiling?) first to soften it so you can slip it over the hard line barb(s) and make whatever bends you need. When the hose cools it goes back to rigid, making it tight onto the barbs." LIGHT BULB goes on in my mind, Maybe that'll work on my 944S fuel rail !! Looks like what the factory did, I think !!
Haven't done this yet (but is on my list of things to do), so YMMV.
Glenn
Old 01-01-2009, 12:51 AM
mistertate
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I think there was a TSB on 16V fuel rails and they actually recalled some of them. I can't find my link for TSBs anymore so that's all I can add.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:01 PM
jstand22
Pro

Originally Posted by glenn '88 944S
Jay,
Not sure this will help you but I bought a hose for my S from a dealer and it had the threaded fitting on both ends, but my hoses are like yours I think (1988). Someone then told me I would have to buy the entire rail to get new lines. Mine weren't leaking at the time, was just replacing all the fuel lines as preventive at 70K miles (and after photos of 944 engine fires were posted somewhere. Here??) so I didn't do anything on that end of the rail.
FWIW I was at a Advance Auto parts place this past year buying a length of bulk fuel hose for a Mazda and the counter guy asks me "which type hose ?". I says "fuel injection?". He says "there are two types FI hose, soft/flexible hose that you use a clamp on, and the rigid type hose you have to put in hot water (boiling?) first to soften it so you can slip it over the hard line barb(s) and make whatever bends you need. When the hose cools it goes back to rigid, making it tight onto the barbs." LIGHT BULB goes on in my mind, Maybe that'll work on my 944S fuel rail !! Looks like what the factory did, I think !!
Haven't done this yet (but is on my list of things to do), so YMMV.
Glenn
Yeah, sunset told me the exact same thing...that I would need a new rail, but it doesn't make sense to me. They seem to think there is a hard line under that rubber line, but I can bend that line so there's no way there's a hard line under there. Your idea about heating the hose seems right, they are on there pretty good, and aren't just pushed on.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a very early 944S, built in June of 1986. It does not have the 90 degree bend in that pipe either. So apparently an early one is the straight line one.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:22 PM
jstand22
Pro

Originally Posted by Jay W
I have a very early 944S, built in June of 1986. It does not have the 90 degree bend in that pipe either. So apparently an early one is the straight line one.
Well according to PET the early rails had the elbow, while the late ones were straight....check out the picture below.

The problem is that they're telling me I need a whole fuel rail because the hose (above circled in red) is actually one piece with the rail. They think there's a hard line under it that is attached permanently to the fuel rail...However, I can easily bend the line, but not rotate it, telling me that there is not a hard line under it, and if you compare what the early fuel rail should look like and mine, it appears to be a late rail.

So I need this #6 hose but it PET it has fittings on it, and mine doesn't. So I'm wondering if anyone else has replaced this, or if anyone has a picture from an S2 to see if the fittings actually do exist or if they are a mistake in PET.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

I just googled it, and here is a link to the picture(too lazy to attach) and from what i can see, it looks that the fuel rail has the fittings on it.

When you get on the page, scroll down a little and you can enlarge the picture

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN
Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 AM
AX993
Pro

Jay,
I just confirmed that my 1988 S has the exact same hose set-up on the front of the fuel rail as yours. The photo that Josh linked to is an S2 fuel rail (ends are under cover, but do look like fittings). I have a friend who has a '91 S2 & will ask him if he has threaded fittings on both ends of those hoses.
BTW I went to the parts place today looking for the hard hose I was shown a while back, but the counter man was different and all this one was aware of that sounded like what I described was in a quick disconnect nylon fuel line (repair kit) that is used on some Ford trucks. Looks like it comes in 5/16" and 3/8" (7.9mm & 9.5mm) sizes. Instructions say to soak in hot water for 10 minutes (until soft) before pushing onto metal fuel lines (kit come with barbed connectors). Brand is Dorman, Part number of kit is 800-064, cost about $20 for 18" of 5/16" & 3/8" hose (one each) and pair of barbed connectors for each size. The only thing that bothers me about this hose is that the wall thickness is less than what's on my fuel rail now. But I think I'll prob try this when I do the replacement rather than buy a new fuel rail from Porsche ($$$). In the meantime I'll continue to research this slip-on hose thing to see if there is a better solution.
Glenn

EDIT: just did a search for Dorman in Amazon.com and seems one can buy the 5/16" size in bulk (25' ?) for anywhere from $14 -$30, AND this nylon hose is used on several US car makes. BUT I'm not sure if that's the correct size.

Last edited by AX993; 01-02-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by glenn '88 944S
Jay,
I just confirmed that my 1988 S has the exact same hose set-up on the front of the fuel rail as yours. The photo that Josh linked to is an S2 fuel rail (ends are under cover, but do look like fittings). I have a friend who has a '91 S2 & will ask him if he has threaded fittings on both ends of those hoses.
BTW I went to the parts place today looking for the hard hose I was shown a while back, but the counter man was different and all this one was aware of that sounded like what I described was in a quick disconnect nylon fuel line (repair kit) that is used on some Ford trucks. Looks like it comes in 5/16" and 3/8" (7.9mm & 9.5mm) sizes. Instructions say to soak in hot water for 10 minutes (until soft) before pushing onto metal fuel lines (kit come with barbed connectors). Brand is Dorman, Part number of kit is 800-064, cost about $20 for 18" of 5/16" & 3/8" hose (one each) and pair of barbed connectors for each size. The only thing that bothers me about this hose is that the wall thickness is less than what's on my fuel rail now. But I think I'll prob try this when I do the replacement rather than buy a new fuel rail from Porsche ($$$). In the meantime I'll continue to research this slip-on hose thing to see if there is a better solution.
Glenn

EDIT: just did a search for Dorman in Amazon.com and seems one can buy the 5/16" size in bulk (25' ?) for anywhere from $14 -$30, AND this nylon hose is used on several US car makes. BUT I'm not sure if that's the correct size.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 90V061000
Vehicle/Equipment Make: PORSCHE
Vehicle/Eqipment Model: 944
Model Year: 1988
Mfg Campaign Number:
Mfg Component Desc: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:FUEL RAIL
Mfg Involved in Recall: PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Manufacture Dates: 01-01-85 through 06-01-88
Type of Report: (V) Vehicle
Potential # of Units Affected: 53,427
Date Owner Notified by Mfg: 04-90-90
Recall Initiated By: MFR
Mfg Responsible for Recall: PORSCHE CARS N.A. INC.
Report Recieved Date: 04-90-90
Record Creation Date: 04-90-90
Regulation Part Number:
FMVSS Number:
Defect Summary: THE HOSE MATERIAL USED IN THE SHORT SECTION OF THE HIGH PRESSURE FUEL LINE HOSE, BETWEEN THE FUEL RAIL AND FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, IS SUBJECT TO HARDENING, AND COULD CAUSE FUEL LEAKS BETWEEN THE HOSE AND THE METAL PIPE FITTINGS.
Consequence Summary: FUEL LEAKS COULD IGNITE ON THE HOT EXHAUST SYSTEM, OR ANY OTHER SOURCE OF IGNITION, RESULTING IN AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE.
Corrective Summary: REPLACE FUEL LINE HOSE WITH HOSES MADE OF IMPROVED MATERIAL.

Review available at http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/...call_6424.html

Contact the dealership to ensure your vehicle is or is not affected by this recall, and if it is within scope, and has not been corrected they should repair it within the scope of the recall...Hope the info helps...
Old 01-02-2009, 02:10 AM
AX993
Pro

JohnKoaWood,
I'm not positive, but I think I remember calling Porsche NA in Atlanta (back when they would answer questions without sending you to a dealer) with my VIN and they said that the recall had been taken care of on my car. On the other hand, when I tried to order this hose from the dealer, I got one with threaded fittings on both ends. I (we) should probably call Porsche again with the VIN to make sure !
Thanks,
Glenn

Quick Reply: Need help on 944S fuel rail