Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 05:17 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's what I was thinking.........

The small hose coming out of the waterpump appears to be the culprit. I have wetness on the backside of the waterpump and it drips down on the power steering area. The hose itself is also wet. Thing is, I had it tightened a while back (like 2 months ago) after I found the same leak, and now it's doing it again. The mech. who tightened it said he got a quarter turn on the nut. That same nut is loose again. Could it have come loose or is it something else (bad hose, etc).

I have turned the damn nut another 1/4 turn and know I could get another 1/4 out of it, but this seems like a lot and I'm afraid of cutting into the hose. Could this happen, or is it just an old tale? I would think you could keep tightening it by hand until you can't go anymore, no?

Someone tell me to go out and tighten this damn thing - I'm just a ***** and afraid of this hose getting cut. Tell me I'm an idiot!!!

944S Boyeee
Old 06-12-2003, 05:22 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by daytrader968:
<strong> I would avoid using Dex-cool as it isn't compatible with the typical green Prestone-type coolants and can cause sediments and deposits to form if mixed.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Can anybody confirm this??
Old 06-12-2003, 07:30 PM
daytrader968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me re-address that hasty statement about dexcool. There have been a few instances of dex-cool systems showing sludge and iron-oxide contamination, but gm says this is from running the coolant low on certain engines. The problem with sediments, as far as I can tell, is mostly when a vehicle has been run with a high-silicate, conventional (green) coolant and then switched to dexcool. The dexcool can apparently loosen silicate build-up and clog up a system. This really isn't a fault of dex-cool, though. Havoline says their dex-cool is compatible with conventional coolants. (There have been rumors of dexcool incompatibility with older seals, but I couldn't find anything substantive.) And, the extended life aspect of dexcool is supposedly voided when installed in a vehicle not designed for it. Also, Dexcool is on something like its 5th revision/improvement so problems may have been from earlier versions.

This article, with info from the National Automotive Radiator Service Association was interesting:
<a href="http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/ferrari/464/coolant.htm" target="_blank">http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/ferrari/464/coolant.htm</a>

This article by Patrick Bedard addresses the G-05, and other coolants:
<a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=2264" target="_blank">www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=2264</a>

Bottom line: coolants should never be mixed. Whenever you switch coolant types, flush the system thoroughly. Other than that, any of the coolants mentioned should be fine.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:32 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts
both my mechs said dex cool was ok and that pretty well all types are phospate free due to environmental issues. I was also told that coolants contain sealant additives as a matter of fact. As far as mixing my othe vehicle uses dex cool and i was told that mixing would negate the long life properties.

Quick Reply: coolant