Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS in MD: '89 944S2, new motor, track suspension, $9500 obo

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
tomfree
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FS in MD: '89 944S2, new motor, track suspension, $9500 obo

I've had this posted in the member-to-member classifieds for a while, but I figured I'd cross post in here to see if I could generate some additional interest. I've had the car for about a year and a half. I bought the car as a weekend fun car and track car. Unfortunately, the original motor was not up to spec, and I ended up spending a lot of time and money to get the car right. The car now has a fresh motor (details below), tons of new parts, and receipts for everything that has been done in my ownership. I also have a stack of receipts from the previous owner, going back to ~2005. I'll be driving the car on the street and taking it to track events in 2009 until it sells.

The obvious question, of course is "Why the heck are you selling the car after you've put all that work and money in to it?" I am saving my pennies for a C5 Z06. The '02+ models are starting to get in to a good price range for me. I know, that's a fairly blasphemous statement on Rennlist , but it's a car I've wanted for years now.

I've cut and pasted most of my ad from the member-to-member classifieds below. There's a link to the full ad at the bottom. The full ad has links to 40+ pictures. If there are any non-paid members who would like to see the pictures, PM me and I'll send you the links.

Please feel free to PM me with questions, or post in this thread. I've subscribed to it, so I'll pop back in to quickly address replies.

Here are the basics on the car:
- 1989 Porsche 944 S2, black exterior, linen interior.
- Chassis has 148K miles, but new motor has less than 1K.
- Tons of receipts from my ownership and the previous owner
- Logbook from my ownership - every fill up, all services, etc.

I've had the car on track a couple of times, and it was a blast. Very torquey for a 4cyl, very neutral handling, very easy to drive.

The car has a fresh motor, built by Sloan Palitti at SSI Performance in Baltimore. Since my previous motor ended it's life by throwing a rod through the side of the block, Sloan started this motor from a good S2 block. I put about 700 miles on the motor to break it in and just changed the oil and filter this past week. The car is happier than it's ever been in my ownership...and now it's going up for sale. The money is going towards a bigger house, as my wife and I are trying to take advantage of the down real estate market. Track time will have to take a backseat to house for a little while.

The asking price is $9500, and I invite and encourage any prospective buyer to have a PPI done on the car. I'm in Gaithersburg, Maryland, just off of I-270, but I'm down to NC fairly often to visit friends and whatnot.

Here are the details on the car.

Motor:
- Fresh 3.0L motor built by Sloan Palitti at SSI Performance in Baltimore. Motor build includes OE 951 forged connecting rods with ARP hardware.
- Crank polished and balanced by Burtonsville Machine Shop.
- All block prep work was also done by Burtonsville
- Head was rebuilt by EBS Racing and has a 3 angle valve job
- ECU is a Weltmeister clone chip. Bumps up the timing and fuel cut is 7000rpm.
- The motor should dyno at ~178hp to the wheels. The previous motor put down those numbers on SSI's dyno, and this one is essentially identical.

Suspension:
- Koni 951 Turbo S front struts with OE height adjustable lower spring perch
- Racer's Edge camber plates and spring top hats
- 250 lb Hypercoil front springs
- Bilstein Turbo Cup rear coilovers w/ 350 lb Eibach springs
- Rear torsion bars removed
- Wheels are 17x7.5 F / 17x9 R 993 Cup 2 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101 street tires. Tires have about 8K miles.
- 968 Caster blocks
- I don't have receipts, but I believe the front control arms/bushings are pretty recent.

Brakes:
- Stock S2 calipers with SS lines
- Zimmerman cross drilled rotors
- Porterfield R4S pads on the car currently
- Also included will be a brand new set of BHP street/track pads

Driveline:
-Clutch was done 9K miles ago and is in good shape
-New Clutch master and slave cyl
-New CV axles done 3K miles ago
-Original transmission replaced 1.5k miles ago with a 120K mile S2 transmission in much better condition.

Aesthetics
- The car looks great for nearly 150K miles, but is by no means a concours winner. It has seen plenty of track time, so there are some rock chips on the front facia, hood, and around the wheels.
- Original paint, and it shines up very nicely. I've gotten numerous complements on the looks of the car from strangers
- The interior is clean, but not perfect. The dash has some small cracks around the defroster vents.
- I'm going to attack some of the carpet stains with my Little Green this week.
- I still have the original jack, spare, and the original Porsche compressor.
- Both front seats have 1 small area where the stitching has pulled out. The leather is not torn, however. Drivers seat shows some wear, but is in generally good condition.
- Car has a Panasonic cd player, an MTX amp, and Panasonic speakers in the doors. I know there is power to the amp, but the front speakers do not play. I'm not much of a stereo guy and honestly have not tried to troubleshoot/fix it. Rear speakers do function.

Other Maintenance/Upgrades/Interesting stuff:
- New radiator
- New power steering rack (not a reman)
- Bursch test pipe (I still have the stock mid pipe with the catalytic converter)
- Magnaflow muffler and tip
- Airbag system has been disabled, but all parts are still in place and could be re-enabled easily
- AC converted to R134a, but currently needs a charge
- Cruise control does not work, and has not in my ownership of the car. All components are there, but I have done no troubleshooting
-Dash lighting is very dim - like many 944's.

Here is my original FS ad in the member-to-member classifieds
Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Good luck !
Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet car!!!! (not that I am biased or anything!!)
Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an FYI I would expect your newly built motor to dyno closer to 190 + HP...
Good Luck.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:40 PM
tomfree
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the dyno figures, that was my thought also. I've read that the "hub" dynos like the Dynapack that the old motor was dyno'd on are a bit pessimistic versus roller dynos like a Dynojet. Then again, the old motor was very troublesome and just hated me. The dyno figures are also from when the motor had probably 20-30 miles on it, and intended to be part of the break-in process. I don't know how much that motor would have "loosened up" with say, 1K miles on it. Still, I agree. 178/176 seems a little low.

For those reading...just to reiterate that the dyno figures quoted were from the previous motor, which threw a rod shortly after the rebuild. I did not get the new motor dyno'd. They both felt strong, but the new motor is a good bit smoother running. It just seems happier to run up the tach than the previous.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Burtonsville has a great reputation, other people have piggybacked onto their work.

Quick Reply: FS in MD: '89 944S2, new motor, track suspension, $9500 obo