Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Folk : where can I order Spies Hecker paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:26 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paint Folk : where can I order Spies Hecker paint?

Also any idea how much I need to spray the 944? I'm going for single stage urethane paint.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:01 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What color? Only sold colors are single stage. Metallics are two stage (Base coat and clear).
Spies or Glasurit paints should be baked.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:21 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GMS
What color? Only sold colors are single stage. Metallics are two stage (Base coat and clear).
Spies or Glasurit paints should be baked.
FP 1004 Rallye Matt Black
Single stage urethane - didn't think i'd need to bake it.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
FP 1004 Rallye Matt Black
Single stage urethane - didn't think i'd need to bake it.
Depends on what you need for full coverage. For a rough idea, I was able to get around the entire car once, including all disassembled pieces, with my base coat of DuPont ChromaPremier metallic base on about a quart.

That means more like a pint, because with the DuPont you mix 50/50 color and "basemaker" (plus some activator, but not enough to make a difference for the purposes of how much you have to spray). So check your spec sheets and make sure you know how much you end up with that is actually sprayable - it might be a lot more than you think.

Oh....cheap-o HVLP gravity feed gun. Your results will obviously vary if you're using something else.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it in 2, partly bc the single stage paint covers so well, partly bc I like a the factory thin paint look and partly bc I didn't buff a lot of it off. Two won't leave much room for error tho.

Interesting that you want to buy quality paint but don't know how much to buy. Just an idea but maybe a practice job to sort of get the hang of it. In any case, be safe.
Bruce
PS... A dog can get sick from this stuff even from 30 yards away.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:04 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Depends on what you need for full coverage. For a rough idea, I was able to get around the entire car once, including all disassembled pieces, with my base coat of DuPont ChromaPremier metallic base on about a quart.

That means more like a pint, because with the DuPont you mix 50/50 color and "basemaker" (plus some activator, but not enough to make a difference for the purposes of how much you have to spray). So check your spec sheets and make sure you know how much you end up with that is actually sprayable - it might be a lot more than you think.

Oh....cheap-o HVLP gravity feed gun. Your results will obviously vary if you're using something else.
Hmm I think they sell it by the liter if i'm not mistaken, which would be perfect. Also I have hard time finding the spec sheets for the paint, but i think you mix it 3:1, which would yield a boatload of paint (flat black all around!)
Old 12-28-2008, 01:18 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Hmm I think they sell it by the liter if i'm not mistaken, which would be perfect. Also I have hard time finding the spec sheets for the paint, but i think you mix it 3:1, which would yield a boatload of paint (flat black all around!)
Yeah...figure out your paint volume SPRAYABLE and go from there. I don't know how its coverage will be, but I'm going to guess that a black will cover just about anything pretty well. Assuming 2-3 coats will not only cover, but be sufficient for a good coat according to the spec sheets, I'd probably go with 2 or 3 liters of (ready to spray) paint. But I'd want to talk to someone who has sprayed it before making any decisions like that.

I used DuPont ChomaPremier because that's what the guys in the shop recommended and knew the most about. And it worked out great, because all the questions I had along the way were answered and answered correctly. You just can't discount the value of finding a good local shop.

That being said, is there some reason you want this specific brand? If I were you, I'd just use whatever you have available locally that's sold someplace that will pay attention to you. There are very few final durability/look differences between all of the high end auto refinishes, but there is a huge difference in prep, process, etc.

Also, don't even think about buying ANYTHING without the spec sheets for the paint and every last other part of the system that is involved. Seriously. You need to read them. The chemists that write them are smart and know how you need to use the **** that they made.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Yeah...figure out your paint volume SPRAYABLE and go from there. I don't know how its coverage will be, but I'm going to guess that a black will cover just about anything pretty well. Assuming 2-3 coats will not only cover, but be sufficient for a good coat according to the spec sheets, I'd probably go with 2 or 3 liters of (ready to spray) paint. But I'd want to talk to someone who has sprayed it before making any decisions like that.

I used DuPont ChomaPremier because that's what the guys in the shop recommended and knew the most about. And it worked out great, because all the questions I had along the way were answered and answered correctly. You just can't discount the value of finding a good local shop.

That being said, is there some reason you want this specific brand? If I were you, I'd just use whatever you have available locally that's sold someplace that will pay attention to you. There are very few final durability/look differences between all of the high end auto refinishes, but there is a huge difference in prep, process, etc.

Also, don't even think about buying ANYTHING without the spec sheets for the paint and every last other part of the system that is involved. Seriously. You need to read them. The chemists that write them are smart and know how you need to use the **** that they made.
The reason I'm going after that paint is because it's exactly the right amount of gloss I'm looking for. I haven't been able to find the paint specs online, but I'm sure once i find a place that can order it for me, they'll be able get those as well. I guess my best shot is to hit up local paint places?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:11 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

The reason I'm going after that paint is because it's exactly the right amount of gloss I'm looking for. I haven't been able to find the paint specs online, but I'm sure once i find a place that can order it for me, they'll be able get those as well. I guess my best shot is to hit up local paint places?
Local paint places (at least around my house) do one system or another, and almost never more than one. But I would seriously doubt that if you have a paint code that it can't be matched on ANY other system. How glossy the paint ends up has more to do with the base they use and what catalysts are put in. I'm going to guess you end up with a lot of catalyst and your paint is dry in no time when you're doing semi/matte. But I'm no expert. Go find one at a local paint shop, ready to put down $500-700 in materials (because that's what quality paint costs), and ask if they can match that color and gloss. I'm sure you'll find they can.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spies is owned by DuPont so I would find a local DuPont distributor. They will most likely have either Spies or Standox(sister company). You can also go to www.pc.dupont.com. There you will find tech info and a distributor locator as well. Good luck. Btw, baking is not necessary, makes no difference whatsoever in regards to durability. A booth with bake capability is a production aid, nothing more.

Quick Reply: Paint Folk : where can I order Spies Hecker paint?