Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

center light bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 08:17 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post center light bar

The PO put a rear light strip in place of the license plate on my car, and I really really prefer it to stock. However, there is a gap between it and the lip above, and years of water have run down and rusted the lights/contacts to the point that they can't even be shorted out by it anymore.

1) Why is it sticking out like this? Is there a gasket or plastic frame thats supposed to go around/behind it? Is mine bowed outward? The wires behind are visible. The red lense is seperated from the black plastic behind, but the gap between the body and the lens is greater than that. Can I bow it back, or should I fashion some sort of plastic guard and epoxy it on there?

2) The bulbs and contacts are shot. I'm thinking about LEDs behind the red lense, but I'm not sure how I'd mount them. I'm thinking about going to radio shack and picking up a breadboard and mounting LEDs on, say, every other hole. Thoughts?
Old 06-11-2003, 10:04 PM
JohnT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had one on my 944 when I bought it and it was also warped and water was leaking in it. I tried heating it with a heat gun to straighten it but it didn't work. Finally I smashed it to pieces and mounted the license plate back in it's original position. If your heart is set on keeping it I would purchase a new one, around $100 on Ebay.

Quick Reply: center light bar