Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt seems loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing belt seems loose

The new timing belt thread made me check my belts tonight and I removed my belt cover (car is sitting in a cold garage) and the timing belt seems too loose to me, I can move the long span quiete a bit and feels loose.

the belt is 2 years 4 months old, it was tensioned twice by my porsche shop after 1500 kms and now it's about 20,000 kms old.

Also one of the teeth I noticed when I run my finger on it the wires running over it (over the tooth) are exposed, I can feel the wires with my finger.

Anyways I work tomorrow and I'm not off until monday so I want to change the belt until monday but I'm thinking i should just drive it to work till monday as it's probably okay till then..... the belt tightens up when teh engine warms up.

now I have a brand new gates timing belt sitting on my desk but I didn't order a new balance belt. Considering the balance belt is only 2.4 years old and 20,000 kms old and barely has any tension on it can I reuse it for now?

I'm guessing my rollers only being 20,000 kms old they should also still be fine.

for tensioning the timing belt do you guys think the kricket and twist method shoudl be fine until I can book an appointment to get it checked or do belts just blow up if the tension is a little too tight.

Also should you replace all the lock bolts (on the tesioners) or is it okay to resuse them.

finally I also ordered a new tensioner stud (85.5 engine) but I'd rather not get into that right now and leave the stud.

what do you guys think? I'm mostly worried about the balance shaft belt tension. right now it's so loose that the kricket won't even give a reading so i'm not sure how I can set it by feel.

what do you guys think?

also my belt with the tooth with exposed wires, the belt was kind of like that when I got it, I noticed some of the teeth you can feel teh wires going over them and the wires were exposed but the belt has worn a bit now and I guess it's more noticable.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reuse tha balance belt or just leave it off for awhile.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

okay I just warmed up my engine and the timing belt once warmed up to operating them feel much tighter now and don't feel loose anymore.

so now i'm a bit confused when setting the belt tension on a cold engine (sitting in a garage overnight with temps down to -3 or so) should I still set it to 40 pounds on the kricket? if so then I think it would get way too tight once warm.

I think what I'm going to do is assume the tension on my t-belt is correct and take a reading of the belt when warm and when fully cold with my kricket before taking the old belt off and set it around that with that new belt......

i'm not worried about the tension of the belt anymore as it feels right when warmed up but i'm kind of really worried about that one tooh on the timing belt that has the wires going over the tooth fully exposed and one of the wires looks ripped. I'm guessing those are fiberglass reinforcing wires going over the teeth.

most timing belt failures occur when teeth rip off and i'm scared my belt is bad for some reason and this may happen if i don't change it out soon....

when you get a new belt you should check every tooh on the belt to make sure there is nothing wrong.....
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lorax
reuse tha balance belt or just leave it off for awhile.
I also have another low milliage balance belt but i think i'm goign to reuse this balance belt it only has 20,000 kms on it like the timing belt and it looks good.

one think I noticed is that when I rev the engine the balance belt's long span flops and makes contact with teh water pump pulley sometimes so I think it is a bit too loose?

I did take it to a shop for tensioning....
Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was reading the arnxworx instructions and it said to adjust the tension when the temperature is above 70 degrees so I would think that it might be a little different at -3...

Quick Reply: Timing belt seems loose