Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 01:01 PM
gratian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink brake fluid change

I am planing to change brake disks and pads, and, because my brake fluid is 10 years old I want to change it.How can I bleed the whole system?
Old 06-26-2003, 01:15 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search and there are many threads that discuss how to do it and the problems you may encounter.

Go here for a description on how to do the job: <a href="http://www.clarks-garage.com/" target="_blank">http://www.clarks-garage.com/</a>

If you buy a Motive Pressure Bleeder (or make up a jury rigged one) life will be so much easier. I don't know what it would cost to ship to Romania or if there is a local supplier to you. The brakes are not hard to bleed but the clutch slave can be a real headache if you get air in it so you want the pressure bleeder to prevent this. Believe me, you will be banging your head against the wall if you screw up the clutch slave bleed.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:20 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

With 10 year old brake fluid you may want to replace the rubber brake hoses at each wheel. Dirt and moisture build up will rot them out if the fluid isn't changed every year or two.

With a pressure bleeder it's a very simple job. I changed my fluid in about 15 minutes.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:21 PM
gratian
Racer

I do not have here a pressure bleeder, but if someone can explain how it works I can my own one.Is good that you Ice told me the clutch slave problem.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:34 PM
gratian
Racer

I read the Clarks procedure and its easy but the problem is how can i bleed the slave cylinder for clutch?I can make also a bleeder, using air compressor....I know how.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:38 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There are many posts here on clutch bleeding that will turn up in a search.
Diconnect the battery, remove the starter, connect the pressure bleeder, and bleed just like you would a brake caliper.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:41 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Gratian,

Go here and type in Motive Bleeder and you can see what it looks like:

<a href="http://www.paragon-products.com/" target="_blank">http://www.paragon-products.com/</a>

You fill it with fluid with a low pickup tube in the fluid and pump up pressure. The hard parts of doing this yourself is finding a cap that fits the brake/clutch reservoir and figuring out the pressure bottle. For $45 USD most people just buy the Motive. But a couple guys have made their own.

Then you just crack open the bleeder nipple on the clutch slave and let it run untill new fluid runs out. Just like the brakes. You can actually get a wrench in to crack open the slave nipple without removing the starter but it a really tight fit unless you have a tiny wrench and hands of a 4 year old.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:45 PM
jim944s2
Racer

I've used the pressure/vacuum bleeders, and I really prefer a real person sitting in the seat pumping the pedal, it just seems to work better (maybe I'm too old school). 10 year old fluid is OLD!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 01:52 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Jim, the problem with "Old School" method on the clutch slave is air can get into the slave around the bleeder threads if you don't have perfect constant pressure on the line. Then you are screwed.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
To make your own costs $30 (without a compressor), the Motive was someting like $40 at Paragon and it's a good little sucker...There was a recent post about building your own, try a search.

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=022253#000000" target="_blank">Ta da</a>...From not a week ago...
Old 06-26-2003, 02:40 PM
gratian
Racer

I am lying.The fluid is "only" 6 years old.Its still good,or not?
Old 06-26-2003, 02:46 PM
gratian
Racer

I know you are right, guys, but hey, here is Romania....most people don't change brake fluids for a car lifetime....40 bucks is not much even for me, who earned about 380$/month, but from where to get one?And about shipping from America?Lots of $$$.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:54 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

If your clutch was replaced 2 years ago I bet all the fluid is 2 years old. In any event, 6 year old fluid is way too old. If it is "only" 2 years old time to change also.

The problem is this: the fluid absorbs water from the air. This lowers the boiling point, which is not good, and causes rust in the system plumbing, which is really not good. You may notice tiny rust flakes in the old fluid you purge out.

Change it.

The shipping price of a Motive through US Postal Service may not be too bad if you can wait a few weeks. Email Paragon and ask them! But if you are really tight on cash, which it looks like you are, it is probably best to do a manual bleed with a friend. Brakes will be no problem. Smear some grease on the clutch slave nipple around the threads to prevent air running back in and you will probably be OK with a friend helping. Take out the starter so you have an easy time and don't mess it up.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

"The fluid is "only" 6 years old.Its still good,or not?"

PCA requires that the fluid be changed within the past 6 months if you want to participate in a Drivers Ed event. I use ATE Blue.

Also, when you retract the pistons for changing the pads, let the fluid escape out of the bleeders instead of pushing it back into the system. I have Speed Bleeders on my car and I changed the fluid a month or so prior to changing the pads.

When I retracted the calipers for the pad change, the fluid that came out was black. This let me know that my previous brake fluid change did not flush the old fluid that was already in the calipers.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:04 PM
gratian
Racer

Hey,Ice, don't bet about 2 years old fluid, because i personally change the clutch but i don't change the fluid.And,about all this 10,6,2 and so on years,I try to joke, but I am not very good on english,so, sorry.The trues is that I have the car from 1994(is an 1987 924S)but since now I newer drain all brake fluid, I only refill when i change brake pads, but now, because my originally front disk became blue and full of cracks, i have to change them and I DECIDE to change the fluid also.

Quick Reply: brake fluid change