Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted: Manual steering rack and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008 | 09:07 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Default Wanted: Manual steering rack and other stuff

So, if you'[ve been following along in the turbo forum, you'll know recent events have caused me to decide to convert my car to turbo cup specs to change my racing class.

There are a few things I need, and thought I'd post this feeler to see what people have.

I need to convert to manual steering - the real manual steering, not just a broken power rack. (Does anyone know if the cup car manual steering is a different ratio than the standard early manual steering?) If someone has an early car and they want to convert to power steering, I'll do a trade. Of course I'll need the steering shaft. Are the tierods different for a manual rack vs. power rack?

I can offer all of my power steering stuff as one complete package (pump - rebuilt last year, rack - 4 years old, hoses, cooler, and reservoir).

I'm also looking for a one-fan radiator shroud - this would be from a non-A/C car.

Anyone have manual window winders? I'll probably need those too (but maybe not).

I'll need a set of cup DME and KLR chips... is this something that's even available? Would I be able to get a copy made somewhere (Russell Berry? You in there?).

Anyone selling the roof skin from a non-sunroof car? I'm actually looking into getting a panel formed... that may be the easiest solution.

Oh yeah, I'll need a plug for the rear wiper hole in the hatch.

Let me know what you've got!
Old 12-15-2008 | 10:55 PM
Litespeeds
Racer

I have a couple of manual racks from early 944's. Please e-mail me at Litespeeds@hotmail.com for pictures. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2008 | 11:45 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Have manual rack from an '84 with 54k original miles and sunroof delete top from an '88 NA/AT but I don't know how the heck you could get it to NY....

T
Old 12-15-2008 | 11:51 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/wdpk.htm
http://944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Sto...+body-944turbo

I'm sure you might be able to find a wiper delete plug on EBAY maybe.
Old 12-16-2008 | 08:35 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Van

I need to convert to manual steering - the real manual steering, not just a broken power rack. (Does anyone know if the cup car manual steering is a different ratio than the standard early manual steering?) If someone has an early car and they want to convert to power steering, I'll do a trade. Of course I'll need the steering shaft. Are the tierods different for a manual rack vs. power rack?

From the two TurboCup cars that I have been exposed to (one that is owned locally and another in Germany), they don't actually have a standard 944 manual rack. It appears to be a power rack body with no power accessories on it, with possibly a different r&p ratio set up internally (because the steering is much lighter in feel than a power rack with the power bits deleted and the stock ratio in place). However, for the purposes of your conversion a standard 944 manual rack is the way to go.

The tie rods between manual and power racks are different, and you, having a late car, will need to buy the specialized late manual steering tie rods. The tie rods from the early 83 cars with manual steering will not work for your application.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-16-2008 | 08:38 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

I have a Wiper delete plug Van from Arnnworx. Send me a PM if u want it.
Old 12-16-2008 | 09:17 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tifo, that does help. I wonder how hard it would be to machine a new pinion shaft... Is there any way we can find out - or figure out what the ratio of a cup car steering rack is?
Old 12-16-2008 | 09:45 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Van
Thanks Tifo, that does help. I wonder how hard it would be to machine a new pinion shaft... Is there any way we can find out - or figure out what the ratio of a cup car steering rack is?
You'd actually need a new pinion shaft and rack gear, I believe. I don't think you could change the tooth count on the pinion shaft without changing the other so that they interface properly (although I could be wrong so don't take that opinion as gospel).

You could certainly make some inquries with companies that specialize in aftermarket rack and pinions, I bet it would be expensive though. That's why I was thinking a standard early manual rack would be the easiest route.

As far as the ratio goes for the cup cars, I haven't seen it in print anywhere that I can recall.
Old 12-16-2008 | 10:23 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
You'd actually need a new pinion shaft and rack gear, I believe. I don't think you could change the tooth count on the pinion shaft without changing the other so that they interface properly (although I could be wrong so don't take that opinion as gospel).
I was thinking, if you reduced the tooth count on the pinion by 1 - it could be the same pitch (so it would fit the rack), but would have to be a smaller diameter. This could be incorporated if an offset bushing was made to relocate the center-line of the pinion closer to the rack. Not a trivial amount of work... But an idea!

Quick Reply: Wanted: Manual steering rack and other stuff