Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fans not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 03:06 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts
Post Fans not working properly

While sitting at a light, I noticed that my temperature gauge was reading higher than normal (above the second hash, but not in the red). As I noticed, the light changed to green and the subsequent driving cooled the car down. As I neared home, the needle started rising above the second hash mark again at another light. When I got home, I popped the hood and let the car idle until it got up there again, and saw that the radiator fans had not turned on. I turned on the AC, which kicked both fans on and cooled the car. When I shut it off, the fans continued to run for a few minutes and turned off.

So, those are the symptoms. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
BB.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Joel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The temp cool switch that screws into your radiator may be the culprit. There should be a test for it in the Haynes or factory service manual. If you do replace it make sure you tighten the new switch very carefully. The radiator most likely has a plastic core and will crack if the switch is over tightened. And, no, don't ask me how I know that! :-(
Old 07-10-2003, 03:28 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Is this the same switch that would cause the fan to run continuously 'til the battery is dead? If so, that'll irriatate me, since it was replaced in December '01...

BB.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:41 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by BeerBurner:
<strong>Is this the same switch that would cause the fan to run continuously 'til the battery is dead? If so, that'll irriatate me, since it was replaced in December '01...

BB.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">That's the one.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:42 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by BeerBurner:
<strong>Is this the same switch that would cause the fan to run continuously 'til the battery is dead? If so, that'll irriatate me, since it was replaced in December '01...

BB.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">That's the one.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:51 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Hrm...

Well, as luck would have it, it appears to have been a false alarm. I went out and let it idle to heat up so that I could pay attention to exactly what it was doing. As the needle reached the second hash mark (where the fans normally turn on) it all of a sudden flicked up a bit to the high mark that I saw, and then the fans turned on. A let it go through this cycle a few times, so I guess I was just thrown by the flicking water temp gauge. I guess I need to clean out some connectors...

Anywho, thanks for helping me fix my car!

BB.

Quick Reply: Fans not working properly